Whether you are planning a research project or working on your next manuscript, Elsevier’s author resources are there to help. Below we highlight just some of the tools available to support you on your research journey.
1. Research & preparation process
Find suitable collaborations for your research
Mendeley is not only a free reference manager but an academic social network that allows you to connect with colleagues, peers or classmates.
- Follow their research and careers
- Showcase your own professional research profile
- Track the impact of your research
- Join discipline-specific groups and build potential collaborations
Write successful funding applications
Researcher Academy offers free e-learning and expert advice that can boost your chances of obtaining a funding grant.
Get to grips with publishing
- Download the "get published" quick guide.
- Download the "how to get your research published and then noticed" guide.
Access news and top tips from peers
- Our Authors’ Update website publishes regular stories and advice for journal authors and a wealth of information on industry developments. Sign up to receive regular email alerts.
- Elsevier Connect. Read daily stories for the science, technology and health communities.
- SciTech Connect. Discover articles written by Elsevier authors and editors, covering hot topics across all scientific disciplines. You can also find specific information for book authors.
2. Writing process
Create citations and bibliographies in just 3 clicks
Mendeley's free reference manager services allow you to make your own fully-searchable library in seconds, cite as you write, and read and annotate your PDFs on any device.
Ensure your manuscript is ethically sound
- Learn about the major types of scientific misconduct and how to avoid them.
- Download the "ethics in research & publications" brochure.
Improve your academic writings skills
- Researcher Academy offers webinars, interactive modules, downloads, tools and resources to help you with the writing process and understanding what journal editors are looking for.
- Elsevier's language editing services ensure your manuscript is written in correct scientific English before submission.
Get help with translating your paper into English
Elsevier’s translation services ensure that your work is translated accurately from multiple languages into English, that it maintains absolute scientific accuracy and is free of language errors before you submit.
Improve illustrations and artwork in your research paper and presentations
Get your research, drawings and ideas turned into professional illustrations for your scientific and medical research papers or presentations.
Visualize your data and help your article get noticed
Discover a range of free tools to present your research in a more powerful, dynamic and engaging way. For a number of databases, we can add visualizations, data and/or links for you, giving your readers easy access to reference information.
3. Submission process
Find a journal for your manuscript
- Journal Finder helps you identify which journals could be the best home for your scientific article.
- A free e-leaning module on this topic is available on Researcher Academy.
Share your research data
Make your research data available, accessible, discoverable and usable.
Explore your open access options
Discover the range of open access options you can choose from.
Familiarize yourself with the reviewing process
Visit Researcher Academy to learn how reviewers look at your paper, what the essential steps are, and how to respond to reviewers’ comments.
Understand your options if your paper is rejected
If your manuscript is deemed unsuitable for publication in your chosen journal, the editor may suggest transfer to a more suitable journal via Elsevier’s Article Transfer Service. If you agree, your manuscript will be transferred with no need to reformat.
Writing or editing a book with Elsevier
Find out what the next steps are if you have an idea for a reference book or textbook.
4. After publication
Make your research stand out:
Read how to ensure visibility of your work. While there is much that publishers and editors can do to help, as the author you are often best placed to explain why your findings are so important or novel.
Monitor how your article has been received
The “impact” tab on your Mendeley profile features citations and downloads for your article and shows who is reading it as well as giving you insight into any media mentions.
Share your research online
- Most Elsevier journals provide a customized Share Link to your newly-published article that you can freely share with colleagues, friends and peers for a 50-day period.
- Read our guidelines for sharing responsibly.
- Create a free profile on Mendeley, upload your papers and showcase your research to your peers worldwide.
Receive a certificate of publication for your article
You can download a free certificate of publication via our Author Services platform, an ideal opportunity to celebrate your achievement or recognize the efforts of your research group.
Share your professionally printed published article and/or journal
Via Elsevier’s Author Services print services you can order professional reprints of your published article, journal copies and posters.