Last updated: May 22, 2018
Information we collect
We collect information about you in three ways: directly from your input, from third-party sources, and through automated technologies.Read more
Information you provide to us
The types of personal information that we collect directly from you depends on the content and features of the Service you use and how you otherwise interact with us and may include:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address, phone number and social media handle;
- Account login credentials, such as usernames and passwords, password hints and similar security information;
- Other account registration and profile information, including educational, professional and other background information, such as your field of study, current position, practice area and areas of interests, ORCID ID and photo;
- Content that you upload and share or store in your account, such as annotations, comments, contributions and replies;
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
- Information that you communicate to us, such as questions or information you send to customer support;
- Data that you provide to us as part of interacting with the Service, such as your favorites and search queries; and/or
- Communications preferences, such as your preferred language and the frequency, type and format of the alerts you sign up to receive.
Data from your institution
We may obtain information about you from the institution with which you are employed or affiliated in order to activate and manage your access to and use of the institution’s subscription to the Service, including:
- Contact details, such as your name and institutional email address, postal address and phone number;
- Other account registration information, such as job title; and/or
- Institutional user ID.
Data from other sources
We also may obtain contact details and other information about you from other entities within the RELX Group and from third parties, including:
- Social networks when that you grant permission to the Service to access your data on one or more networks;
- Service providers that help us determine a location in order to customize certain products to your location;
- Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities; and/or
- Publicly-available sources and data suppliers from which we obtain data to validate or supplement the information we hold.
Device and usage data
The Service may automatically collect information about how you and your device interact with the Service, such as:
- Computer, device and connection information, such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system and other software installed on your device, unique device identifier and other technical identifiers, error reports and performance data;
- Usage data, such as the features you used, the settings you selected, URL click stream data, including date and time stamp and referring and exit pages, and pages you visited on the Service;
- For educational Services, the course modules and test questions you view, answer or complete; and/or
- For location-aware Services, the physical location of your device.
How we use your information
We are committed to delivering a relevant and useful experience to you. Depending on how you interact with us and the Service, we use your personal information to:Read more
- Provide, activate and manage your access to and use of the Service;
- Process and fulfill a request, order, download, subscription or other transaction;
- Offer you customized content and other personalization to make the Service more efficient for you and more relevant to your interests and geography;
- Enhance and improve the Service, such as add new content and features;
- Notify you about changes, updates and other announcements related to the Service;
- Deliver targeted advertisements, promotional messages, and other information related to the Service and to your interests;
- Provide technical, product and other support and help to keep the Service working, safe and secure; and/or
- Identify usage trends and develop data analysis, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting and other business operations, such as to pay royalties and license fees to third-party content providers, determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, evaluate our business performance, or in other ways pursuant to a customer agreement.
We may also use your personal information to:
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns;
- Conduct and administer user testing and surveys as well as sweepstakes, competitions and similar promotions;
- Provide you with relevant promotional messages and other information about products, events and services of ours, our group companies and third parties such as societies and sponsors;
- Enhance and improve our products, events and services and develop new ones; and/or
- Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
Sharing of your information
We share your personal information in the following ways and contexts.Read more
If you access the Service through a subscription administered by your institution, your personal information and certain usage data gathered through the Service, such as the number of items you downloaded, any fee-based items you accessed, and test scores, may be accessed by or shared with the administrators authorized by your institution for the purposes of usage analysis, subscription management, course management and testing and remediation. If your institution is a corporation or other business entity, additional usage data, such as the types of records you viewed and the number of searches you ran, also may be shared for the purposes of cost attribution and departmental budgeting.
We may also disclose to your institution or other third parties non-personally identifiable information, such as anonymous usage data reports and aggregated information, subject to any applicable legal or contractual obligations.
Our group companies and service providers
Depending on the Service provided, we share your personal information with our:
- Affiliates, trading names and divisions within the Elsevier group of companies (for a list, visit http://www.elsevier.com/locations) and certain RELX Group companies that provide technology, customer service and other shared services functions; and/or
- Suppliers and service providers, including editors, reviewers, payment processors, customer support, email service providers, event venues and service providers, mailing houses, shipping agents and IT service providers;
We may also share your personal information with our group companies and with sponsors, joint venture partners and other third parties, including entities for which we are acting as an agent, licensee, application host or publisher, such as societies, that wish to send you information about their products and services that may be of interest to you as determined by your choices in managing your communications preferences and other settings.
The Service may let you post and share personal information, comments, messages, materials and other content. Any such information that you disclose publicly or in discussion fora in the Service may be collected and used by others, may be indexed by search engines, and might not be able to be removed. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
We also will disclose your personal information if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other legal obligation;
- detect, investigate and help prevent security, fraud or technical issues; and/or
- protect the rights, property or safety of Elsevier, our users, employees or others;
and as part of a corporate transaction, such as a transfer of assets to or an acquisition by or merger with another company.
Your personal account
If you create a personal user account on ScienceDirect, Scopus, Mendeley, ClinicalKey or another Service listed here, you can sign in with the same credentials to all of them.Read more
We will share your usage activity, preferences and other information amongst these and related Elsevier services, like bepress and PlumX, to help you improve your productivity. For example, ScienceDirect may recommend better content for you based on your Mendeley library content and the abstracts you read on Scopus, and Mendeley may present you a better tailored content feed based on your ScienceDirect and Scopus activity.
If you are an administrator of an institution with a subscription to a Service, we will use your details to communicate with you about your institution’s subscription and related services. If you supply us contact information of your colleagues, we may include a reference to you when we contact those individuals with communications about the Service.
Your communications preferences
You can customize and manage your communications preferences and other settings when you register with the Service, by updating your account features and preferences, by using the “opt-in/out” or subscribe/unsubscribe mechanisms or other means provided within the communications that you receive from us or by contacting us. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Service whenever necessary.
Accessing and updating your information
The Service may allow registered users to directly access their account information and make corrections or updates at any time.Read more
Keeping such information up to date is solely the responsibility of the user. Registered users may also close their account directly through the Service or by contacting the Service’s customer support.
You have the right under European and certain other privacy and data protection laws, as may be applicable, to request free of charge:
- Access to and correction and deletion of your personal information;
- Restriction of our processing of your personal information, or to object to our processing; and/or
- Portability of your personal information.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us through the contact address provided below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable laws. To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to verify your identity.
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide the Service and fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, maintaining business and financial records, resolving disputes, maintaining security, detecting and preventing fraud and abuse, and enforcing our agreements.
We take precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction through the use of appropriate technical and organizational measures.
Locations of processing
Your personal information may be stored and processed in your region or another country where Elsevier companies and their service providers maintain servers and facilities, including Australia, France, Germany, India, Ireland, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Singapore, the United Kingdom, and the United States.Read more
We take steps, including through contracts, to ensure that the information continues to be protected wherever it is located in a manner consistent with the standards of protection required under applicable law. Where personal information is transferred from the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland to a country that has not received an adequacy decision by the European Commission, we rely on appropriate safeguards such as the European Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses and Privacy Shield Frameworks to transfer the data.
Grounds for processing
When we collect from you any personal information within the scope of European data protection laws, we do so:Read more
- where necessary to provide the Service, fulfill a transaction or otherwise perform a contract with you or at your request prior to entering into a contract;
- where necessary for our compliance with applicable law or other legal obligation;
- where necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest;
- where applicable, with your consent; and/or
- as necessary to operate our business, protect the security of our systems, customers and users, detect or prevent fraud, or fulfill our other legitimate interests as described in the sections above, except where our interests are overridden by your privacy rights.
Where we rely on your consent to process personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, and where we rely on legitimate interests, you may have the right to object to our processing.
Elsevier Data Protection Officer
Oxford OX5 1GB
You also may lodge a complaint with the data protection authority in the applicable jurisdiction.
The data protection representative for our businesses that are processing personal data within the scope of European data protection laws and located outside of the EEA and Switzerland is Elsevier Limited. You can contact the data protection officer of Elsevier Limited through the contact details provided above.
Please read the service-specific details below for additional information about certain Elsevier services.
When you create a Mendeley account, you have a personal library that you can fill with research information and materials, like manuscripts, articles, and other content.Read more
With a Mendeley account comes a Mendeley profile, which will publicly display your first and last name, to help others find and connect with you on Mendeley.
You can enrich your Mendeley profile by adding biographical information and materials, including your research interests, publications, curriculum vitae, and photo. In your Privacy Settings, you can decide to make your enriched profile public or to display it to your followers only, and you can select who can follow you.
With a Mendeley account, you can post comments and other research information to your followers. You can also create and participate in public and private groups, to communicate and share research information and materials, including annotations and comments, with other Mendeley users. Your membership of and contributions to public groups, like comments and other posts, will always be publicly displayed. Your membership of and contributions to a private group will always be displayed to all members of that group.
Information that you have shared with others on Mendeley (including its affiliated sites like the Mendeley support site) or that others have copied may remain visible after you have deleted the information from your Mendeley profile or closed your account. Groups content associated with closed accounts will show an unknown user as the source.
In your Mendeley account, you can create job preferences (or also called careers interests).Read more
You can update, change or delete your careers interests at any time by logging into your Mendeley account and going to your careers interests (job preferences) page to make your desired changes.
You can choose to let employers, recruiters and other human resource professionals who pay for access to Mendeley Careers (“Employers”) see your careers interests. In this case your careers interests, including your CV and contact information, will be available for searching, viewing and downloading by Employers who request CVs matching your careers interests to be sent to them.
Please note that your current employer may be a customer of Mendeley Careers, or a client of one of our customers. We cannot restrict the customers who access profiles on Mendeley Careers and cannot be held responsible for any eventuality.
Please further note that although we try to grant access to career interests only to Mendeley Customers and require that they agree to access and use career interests solely for their recruitment-related purposes, we do not verify their identity or control their use, disclosure or retention of the information they access.
When you create a Hivebench account, you have an Electronic Laboratory Notebook that you can fill with research information, like experiments, protocols, reagents, materials, and other content.Read more
With a Hivebench account comes a Hivebench profile, which helps you claim ownership of your research activity, results, and output while sharing research information publicly, and collaborating with other Hivebench users.
Your Hivebench profile always contains your username and your photo (if provided by you). You can choose to enrich your Hivebench profile by adding information like your full name, laboratory, URL, and location.
Your profile information will be automatically copied to any protocol and experiment that you create. For any of your existing protocols and experiments, you can edit the additional profile information copied, but not your username and photo (if provided), as these remain linked to your account to support the traceability of your research activities to you.
With a Hivebench account, you can collaborate in notebooks and inventories, and share protocols, experiments, research data, and other files, with other Hivebench users. Your membership of and contributions to such shared notebooks and inventories will be displayed to all these collaborators and might include sharing of your Hivebench profile information as well as of your e-mail address.
Information that you have shared with others on Hivebench or that others have copied may remain visible after you have deleted the information from your Hivebench profile or closed your account. Content associated with closed accounts will continue to show your username and photo (if provided) as the source to support the traceability of your research activities to you.
If you access Hivebench through an institution-sponsored subscription, your Hivebench profile and the research information associated with your institutional Hivebench account will be visible to your institutional Hivebench administrator for the purposes of controlling and monitoring information flows, auditing, security management, and access control.
When you create a (bepress) Digital Commons account, you have the option of using your account to submit pre-existing and new work to over 500 repositories running Digital Commons software.Read more
During or after such a submission process, these repositories may solicit information from you for their own publishing and record maintenance needs. bepress does not control any of the information submitted to such a repository, and such information may remain visible in the repository after you have closed your Digital Commons account.
Unless you indicate otherwise in your Digital Commons account, bepress may use your account email address to contact you with updates regarding the usage and reach of content that you have submitted to one or more of the repositories running Digital Commons software.
Any requests pertaining to information collected by, held by, and/or publicly visible in a repository running Digital Commons software should be sent to the primary contact listed by the repository.
SelectedWorks (Expert Gallery Suite)
When you create a (bepress) SelectedWorks account, you have the option of creating a personal profile page that will publicly display your first and last name to help others find and connect with you.Read more
You, your designated delegate(s), or your institutional administrator can enrich your SelectedWorks personal profile by adding biographical information and materials, including your research interests, publications, curriculum vitae, and photo. You, your designated delegate(s) or your institutional administrator can add, change, or delete this information at any time and can decide to make your enriched profile public or hidden. bepress does not control the information in a SelectedWorks personal profile, and any such information may remain visible after you have closed your SelectedWorks account
Unless you indicate otherwise in your SelectedWorks account, bepress may use your account email address to contact you with updates regarding the usage and reach of the content that you shared on SelectedWorks.
Any requests pertaining to information collected by, held by, and/or publicly visible in your personal profile should be sent to the Institution administrator listed in your Access Management page.
When you create a (bepress) ExpressO account, you have the option to submit a law manuscript for publication consideration to any of the 700+ law reviews available on ExpressO.Read more
The personal information you provide as part of this submission, including name, email address, and CV (optional), is delivered via email to your chosen law review(s) and simultaneously posted to the law review account on ExpressO. A record of your submission and delivery information will be made available on your ExpressO account. Law reviews may solicit additional information after receipt of your submission.
Unless you indicate otherwise in your ExpressO account, bepress may use your account email address to contact you with updates. Any requests regarding the closing of your ExpressO account should be directed to us at email@example.com.
Any requests pertaining to information collected by, held by, and/or made publicly visible by a law review or in an ExpressO law review account should be sent directly to the law review in question.