Interactive Plot Viewer
About the Interactive Plot Viewer
The Interactive Plot Viewer shows show data submitted by the author visually in a line or scatter plot and numerically in a data table.
Interactive Plots provide authors and readers with many benefits. They:
- Enable authors to display plots that give easy access to the underlying data
- Enable readers to explore the dataset from the plot via mouse over or viewing the data table
- Enable readers to download the full data set to facilitate validation and re-use
e-NSP: Efficient negative sequential pattern mining - Artificial Intelligence
In situ observation of mechanical damage within a SiC-SiC ceramic matrix composite - Journal of Nuclear Materials
Calculation of the state of safety (SOS) for lithium ion batteries - Journal of Power Sources
The current version of Interactive Plots has been designed to support simple xy plots, though some authors have used the feature for more complicated ones.
Data files for Interactive Plots must be saved and submitted in CSV (comma-separated values) format. Nearly all database software programs – including Microsoft Excel – support this export option.
To format the file correctly, please take the following into account:
- Each column represents a data series. Your file should have at least two columns so the data can be visualized as (X, Y) pairs on a plot. If you include more columns, these will be presented as multiple series on the plot.
- The first row acts as header and should contain the label of the data series in plain text.
- Please remember to include units in the labels (between brackets)
An example of a correctly formatted file is show below.
A file like this would display as the image below. Please note this is a flat image that does not show the interactivity. To see the full interactivity, try saving this file as CSV and uploading it into our Interactive Plots Preview Tool.
Our current version of Interactive Plots has the following number of restrictions for ensuring correct display:
- Please do not include special characters in the header labels.
- Your file should have 2-10 columns.
- The maximum number of rows is 250.
- There should not be any empty cells.
- The application supports numbers with up to 3 decimal digits. If your data contains numbers with more than 3 decimal digits, please use scientific notation, e.g. 1.123E-07.
- The maximum file size is 500KB.
You can check if your file works and how it will look online using the Interactive Plots Preview Tool. Please double check that you mention the units (between brackets).
Upload your file together with your article via the submission system. Important: To ensure we can distinguish your file from a regular data file, please be sure to select the option “Interactive Plots”.
In your manuscript, you can indicate where you want the material to appear in the article, for example, by writing ‘File1.csv here’.
Reviewers will find CSV files associated with Interactive Plots in the supplementary material submitted with the manuscript. Editors and reviewers can use the Interactive Plots Preview Tool to inspect Interactive Plot files during the review process.
- EES: the files can be downloaded via links on the final pages of the reviewer PDF
- EVISE: the files can be downloaded directly from the system
For more information, read the general reviewer instructions.