High-recall, high-precision capture of adverse drug reactions
A key component of diverse and increasingly complex pharmacovigilance regulatory requirements is systematic screening of biomedical literature for adverse drug reactions (ADRs). Capturing all potential and unanticipated health risks for a drug from the international biomedical literature also allows pharmaceutical companies to proactively develop more effective drug safety strategies.
How Embase helps
Easily track all published, peer-reviewed biomedical information on your products. Embase gives you access to the world's most comprehensive database of biomedical literature, including non-English content. The user-friendly interface also provides unique support for the creation of high-recall, high-precision search strings.
Embase helps users to:
- Generate information search strategies that have high recall and precision
- Track precise drug safety information across the literature
Ready to take the next step?
View Embase pricing options
- Perform risk–benefit assessments and create risk mitigation strategies
- Comply with regulations on drug safety and pharmacovigilance
How Embase works
Embase is designed to deliver answers that empower PV teams to make risk–benefit assessments, meet pharmacovigilance reporting deadlines and improve drug safety. It provides:
- Comprehensive and up-to-date drug safety information, with over 30 million records from more than 8,000 journals and 5,500 conferences
- (Coming soon) The French Local Language Module to identify all mentions of adverse events in selected French-language literature as part of the global process
- Direct linking of drugs, diseases and devices to associated events mentioned in the article, enabling more precise retrieval of adverse event information
- PV Wizard to facilitate vastly quicker creation of the complex search strings needed for high-recall, high-precision searches focused on adverse events
- Search automation and alerting features to ensure that all newly published information is quickly captured and no adverse event is missed
Download the Embase Fact Sheet (PDF, 354 KB)
How PV Wizard works
This new infographic shows how PV Wizard vastly reduces the time needed to generate high-recall, high-precision searches for adverse events.
Example applications of Embase
What is the key to more efficient risk–benefit analysis?
A strong drug safety strategy with efficient risk–benefit analysis is a commitment to patient safety and a healthy drug life cycle. This new white paper assesses the five steps to follow in building an efficient, accurate and compliant strategy for capturing and reviewing adverse event information from the biomedical literature.
Best practices for building PV search strategies
This new application note gives a step-by-step example of building a search for adverse drug events using Embase’s PV Wizard. The method described can be applied to any pharmacovigilance-focused search of the biomedical literature.
Embase supports government decisions in healthcare
The choice of which drugs and treatments are eligible for government reimbursement depends on accurate health technology assessments. This interview with Dr. George R. Khachatryan explains the role of biomedical literature in these crucial decisions.
Ideas and insights for industry professionals
Balancing in-house and outsourced monitoring
Combining outsourced literature management with an in-house solution can help companies overcome search challenges by improving oversight, increasing efficiency and providing greater flexibility in managing workload.
Improving the accuracy of signal detection
Pharmacovigilance ensures the correct use of a drug, safeguarding it as a meaningful treatment option. But working with spontaneous adverse event reporting systems poses challenges. Find out how to overcome them.
Learn more about Elsevier's R&D Solutions for Pharmacovigilance
Thousands of pharmacovigilance and drug safety teams at pharmaceutical companies rely on Elsevier’s R&D Solutions and services. We have focused on providing comprehensive coverage of drug safety data sources and alleviating challenges with pharmacovigilance processes. In addition to Embase, drug safety teams worldwide benefit from the support of these solutions and services.
Promote efficiency and organizational compliance. QUOSA PV centralizes the discovery of adverse event information from multiple sources and automates information monitoring and triage in a scalable, GxP-compliant environment.
Let informatics and analytics experts support your drug safety goals. Our Professional Services team can streamline adverse event and safety signal detection by validating search strategies and implementing solutions for literature triage and review.
Make more informed decisions on drug safety and efficacy, risk, and study design. PharmaPendium delivers comparative drug interaction data and facilitates searches of FDA and EMA drug approval document sources, including FAERS.