Biomedical literature database for monitoring
adverse drug reactions and proactive drug safety strategies
A key component of diverse and increasingly complex pharmacovigilance regulatory requirements is systematic screening of biomedical literature for adverse drug reactions (ADRs). Capturing all potential and unanticipated health risks for a drug from the international biomedical literature also allows pharmaceutical companies to proactively develop more effective drug safety strategies.
How Embase helps
Embase helps track all published/peer-reviewed biomedical information on your products and makes it easy to quickly review reported safety risks, side effects and adverse drug events information — all in a single platform.
As the world's most comprehensive biomedical literature database, Embase provides comprehensive and up-to-date drug safety information and precise retrieval of adverse event information. Embase helps users to:
- Comply with legislation and regulations for drug safety and pharmacovigilance
- Track precise drug information, including adverse events, comparisons and therapy as well as disease information
Ready to take the next step?
View Embase pricing options
- Support decision making with up-to-date and high-quality preclinical and clinical information
- Stay abreast of the competition
How Embase works
Pharmaceutical companies need current and comprehensive information on drugs and drug adverse events. Embase provides the information pharmaceutical companies need for effective pharmacovigilance, including:
- Comprehensive and up-to-date drug safety information, with over 30 million records from more than 8,500 journals and 5,500 conferences
- The Embase thesaurus, Emtree, is one of the most comprehensive thesauri available for life science information, with a unique focus on drug terminology
- Direct linking of drugs, diseases and devices to associated events mentioned in the article, enabling more precise retrieval of adverse event information
Download the Embase Fact Sheet (PDF, 577kb)
Example applications of Embase
The high volume of clinical literature continually being published poses significant problems without an effective literature screening and management solution. Learn how Embase and QUOSA from Elsevier can help.
Best practices for pharmacovigilance & literature monitoring
Watch Embase expert discuss what the best practices for creating, fine-tuning and validating search strategies for literature monitoring, and how to use the PV Wizard search form to construct a complex PV search strategy with 5 simple steps.
Ideas and insights for industry professionals
Balancing in-house and outsourced monitoring
Combining outsourced literature management with an in-house solution can help companies overcome search challenges by improving oversight, increasing efficiency and providing greater flexibility in managing workload.
Improving the accuracy of signal detection
Pharmacovigilance ensures the correct use of a drug, safeguarding it as a meaningful treatment option. But working with spontaneous adverse event reporting systems poses challenges. Find out how to overcome them.
Learn more about Elsevier's R&D Solutions for Pharmacovigilance
Achieve pharmacovigilance with less pain with solutions that help you identify critical patient safety signals and automate the processes of capturing and managing adverse drug reaction and safety information,
Learn more about Pharmacovigilance solutions