Leverage insights from biomedical literature for drug development, repositioning and safety
Drug discovery, development and re-purposing require a deep understanding and investigation of the biomedical literature. Researchers require smart data and analytical tools to uncover drug-disease relationships and drug-drug interactions.
How Embase helps
Recommended by the FDA and EMA for monitoring drug safety in biomedical literature, Embase has a broad biomedical scope, with in-depth coverage of pharmacology, pharmaceutical science and clinical research.
Embase delivers comprehensive drug coverage and unique ‘triple-indexing’ that enables direct linking of drugs, diseases and devices to associated events mentioned in biomedical literature. It enables users to extract semantic relationships between drug-disease; drug-drug; device-disease and device-device.
Embase provides in-depth indexing, intuitive search tools and comprehensive content that users:
- Zoom in on very specific relationships of drugs
- Decide which drug candidates to progress
- Compare the effectiveness and safety between drugs
- Determine how to design preclinical studies
Ready to take the next step?
View Embase pricing options
- Rapidly retrieve relevant information from trusted sources
- Build searchable, comprehensive databases of all evidence
- Support the publication of original research
Featured customer story
Avinash Permraj, Research Scientist in Biotechnology, Management of Scientific Centers uses Embase to keep up with biological processes, novel techniques and new concepts in animal biotechnology and veterinary research data.
Read the customer story (PDF, 613.1 KB)
How Embase works
Retrieving relevant and high quality evidence from the ever-increasing volume of biomedical literature is a challenge. Embase allows you to search the widest possible pool of data with precision. It provides:
- Tree-level indexing of the full text of an article, which consists of drug term, disease terms, key subheadings and linked terms (e.g. hypertension, stroke, nausea, vomiting, etc)
- Compressive drug coverage: Emtree includes chemical names, trade names and laboratory/research codes as well as generic names for more than 32,000 drugs and chemicals, including all generic names recognized by FDA, EMA and WHO (from 2000)
Download the Embase Fact Sheet (PDF, 746.1 KB)
- Precise retrieval of relevant records through 64 subheadings, 4 medical device subheadings and 14 disease subheadings
- More than 32 million records from over 8,500 journals and grey literature from over 2.3 million conference abstracts
- Unique non-English content, along with detailed indexing of study types, trial phases, patient populations, and more
Example applications of Embase
Drug analytics in Embase
Learn how to use in-depth indexing in Embase to identify semantic relationships between drugs and diseases and how to use the identified relationships to inform drug development and repositioning.
Informing drug repurposing studies
Drug repurposing is an important strategy to reduce time to market, decrease costs and improve success rates of drugs. Learn how the smart data found via the triple indexing of Embase enables drug repurposing.
The power of indexing
In this webinar, we discussed how drugs, diseases and devices are indexed in Embase and how this enables you to find the information you’re searching for.
Ideas and insights for industry professionals
Real Stories. Real Science. Real Time.
Visit the Hive to explore how biotech and pharma start-ups are using Elsevier R&D solutions to solve for early-stage drug discovery and development.
Precision Medicine in R&D
Drug makers are turning their focus from developing blockbuster drugs to making advances in precision medicine treatments. But what will they need to do to succeed?
Precision Medicine, not Limited Medicine
Precision medicines display high efficacies against their target groups, but they still face the same problems as other drugs: high attrition rates during development, acquired resistance after launch and so on.
Learn more about Elsevier's R&D Solutions for Drug Discovery & Development
Realize the potential of data-driven drug discovery and development with solutions that help you increase research efficiency and ensure a thriving R&D pipeline.
Learn more about Drug Discovery & Development solutions