Improve your biomedical research with the world’s most comprehensive biomedical literature database.Get started
Already an Embase customer?
If you already have an Embase account, please click the link below to sign in.
Designing search formulas
In literature monitoring, the ideal search will find all ADRs without turning up too many irrelevant results. How do you design a search formula that maintains this balance?
An exhaustive search
Marialaura Martinico, a scientific documentalist who works at various institutes, uses Embase to review all the scientific literature in an efficient, single and exhaustive search.
Get the essential biomedical research you need quickly and accurately
Developing pharmaceuticals and performing pharmacovigilance requires a wide array of comprehensive, evidence-based medicine, drug and medical device efficacy studies.
Embase is a highly versatile, multipurpose and up-to-date biomedical database. It covers the most important international biomedical literature from 1947 to the present day and all articles are indexed in depth using Elsevier's Life Science thesaurus Embase Indexing and Emtree®. The entire database is also conveniently available on multiple platforms.
Ready to take the next step?
With Embase, you can search and access:
- Journal coverage from 1947 to the present
- Over 32 million records, including MEDLINE titles
- Over 8,500 journals from over 95 countries, including MEDLINE titles
- Over 2,900 indexed journals unique to Embase
- Over 1.5 million records added yearly, with an average of over 6,000 each day
- Over 2.3 million conference abstracts indexed from more than 7,000 conferences dating from 2009
- Full-text indexing of drug, disease and medical device data
Recommended for your success
Embase is recommended by the following regulatory bodies and authorities for maintaining awareness of safety profiles, and clinical and economic evidence:
- European Medicines Agency (EMA) - Guideline on good pharmacovigilance practices (GVP) Module VI
- European Commission - Guidance on the clinical evaluation of medical devices – MEDDEV 2.7.1 (rev. 4)
- The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Guidelines
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0
- European Medicines Agency (EMA) committee - Medicinal Products for Veterinary Use (CVMP)
- WHO Handbook for guideline development (2nd Edition)
- Joanna Briggs Institute Reviewers’ manual 2016 edition
- European network for Health Technology Assessment (EUnetHTA) - Process of information retrieval for systematic reviews and health technology assessments on clinical effectiveness (Version 1.2, December 2017)
Work faster and better with Embase
For users looking for adverse drug events, drug efficacy studies, medical device and disease-related biomedical research information, Embase delivers immediate access to a range of intuitive search tools that help them find exact answers to their research questions quickly and easily.
- Uncover drug-disease relationships and drug-drug interactions – Discover more biomedical evidence by searching comprehensive, relevant and up-to-date biomedical research
- Monitor literature for adverse events more efficiently – Adverse events are much easier and faster to identify using the world's most comprehensive biomedical literature database
What our customers say
"Embase serves as an exhaustive knowledge resource that I and other researchers in multiple locations around the world can share. It lets us locate and annotate scientific data that is crucial for our research project communications and new scientific proposals." Avinash Permraj, research scientist at Management of Scientific Centers
Read Avinash Permraj's story (PDF, 613kb)
The Hive: Real Stories. Real Science. Real Time.
Biotech and pharma start-ups are using Elsevier's R&D solutions to solve for early-stage drug discovery and development. To find out more, watch the videos, read real-world case studies and learn how early innovation starts with early access to research.
Pharma R&D Today blog
Get a wide range of the latest insights and opinions on pharma-related topics with the Elsevier Pharma R&D blog.
Learn about target identification, big data, new drug discovery, drug safety monitoring, risk mitigation, regulatory compliance and much more.
Embase fact sheet
Embase is ideally suited for pharmacovigilance, systematic reviews and biomedical research. Delve into its unique features and functionality.
Download the Embase fact sheet (PDF, 716kb)
If you have questions about third party licensing or how publishers’ content appears in the product, please contact the Publishing Relations Management team.