Improve your biomedical research with the world’s most comprehensive biomedical literature database.Get started
Already an Embase customer?
If you already have an Embase account, please click the link below to sign in.
Designing search formulas
In literature monitoring, the ideal search will find all ADRs without turning up too many irrelevant results. How do you design a search formula that maintains this balance?
PV best practices
This new application note for Embase’s PV Wizard shows you how to build an optimized search query designed to find all adverse events for a medicinal substance.
Get the essential biomedical research you need quickly and accurately
Embase is a highly versatile, multipurpose and up-to-date biomedical database. It covers the most important international biomedical literature from 1947 to the present day and all articles are indexed in depth using Elsevier's Life Science thesaurus Embase Indexing and Emtree®. The entire database is also conveniently available on multiple platforms.
Work faster and better with Embase
For users looking for adverse drug events, drug efficacy studies, medical device and disease-related biomedical research information, Embase delivers immediate access to a range of intuitive search tools that help them find exact answers to their research questions quickly and easily.
- Uncover drug-disease relationships and drug-drug interactions – Discover more biomedical evidence by searching comprehensive, relevant and up-to-date biomedical research
- Monitor literature for adverse events more efficiently – Adverse events are much easier and faster to identify using the world's most comprehensive biomedical literature database
- We’re introducing new local literature modules to Embase as an add-on. Our first module is the French Local Literature Module. It enables users to align the monitoring of French-langage journals for adverse drug reactions with their global processes. This streamlines literature search, triage and review.
Recommended for your success
Embase is recommended by the following regulatory bodies and authorities for maintaining awareness of safety profiles, and clinical and economic evidence:
- (New) China National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) - Guidelines for collecting and reporting adverse drug reactions (2018)
- European Medicines Agency (EMA) - Guideline on good pharmacovigilance practices (GVP) Module VI
- European Commission - Guidance on the clinical evaluation of medical devices – MEDDEV 2.7.1 (rev. 4)
- The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Guidelines
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0
- WHO Handbook for guideline development (2nd Edition)
- European network for Health Technology Assessment (EUnetHTA) - Process of information retrieval for systematic reviews and health technology assessments on clinical effectiveness (Version 1.2)
- Journal coverage from 1947 to the present
- Over 32 million records, including MEDLINE titles
- Over 8,500 journals from over 95 countries, including MEDLINE titles
- Over 2,900 indexed journals unique to Embase
- Over 1.5 million records added yearly, with an average of over 6,000 each day
- Over 2.3 million conference abstracts indexed from more than 7,000 conferences dating from 2009
- Full-text indexing of drug, disease and medical device data
- Local literature modules available as add-on
- Download Embase Fact Sheet (PDF, 716.4 KB)
What our customers say
“Embase is a must when you’re searching through medical literature. If you haven’t searched Embase, MEDLINE, and the Cochrane Library, then you haven’t done your work as a research librarian!” Edith Clausen, Research Librarian at Aarhus University Hospital
The Hive: Real Stories. Real Science. Real Time.
Biotech and pharma start-ups are using Elsevier's R&D solutions to solve for early-stage drug discovery and development. To find out more, watch the videos, read real-world case studies and learn how early innovation starts with early access to research.
Pharma R&D Today blog
Get a wide range of the latest insights and opinions on pharma-related topics with the Elsevier Pharma R&D blog.
Learn about target identification, big data, new drug discovery, drug safety monitoring, risk mitigation, regulatory compliance and much more.
If you have questions about third party licensing or how publishers’ content appears in the product, please contact the Publishing Relations Management team.