Pure - A complete CRIS for managing REF submissions
Good research information management practices allow universities to better understand the full picture of activity on campus and can ease the burden of Research Excellence Framework submissions. When you fully understand all the researcher-related activity on campus, you can make more informed decisions that can help guide your research strategy. Elsevier's market-leading Current Research Information System (CRIS), Pure, can help you do this.
Pure allowed us to collate data easily for the Research Excellence Framework 2014 submission and provides a platform for continued reporting on research output.Research Manager, Educational Institution
Discover more about Pure...
Pure aggregates your organisation’s research information from numerous internal and external sources, making it easier to manage your institution’s REF2021 submission. To build Pure’s REF2021 module , we worked with our UK user group and Elsevier’s REF subject matter experts to ensure we have strong product that can continue to serve needs of UK customers through the REF and beyond.
Pure is a user-friendly tool that provides an extensive range of flexible configuration options to meet the specific needs of your institution as you get ready for the REF. With Pure’s REF2021 Module, you can:
Create all submission content
- Identify REF1a/c eligible staff and select those to be included
- Capture details of REF1b individual staff circumstances
- Select REF2 outputs to be submitted
- Upload REF3a impact templates and REF3b case studies, including uploading supporting factual statements and corroborating contact information
- Upload / generate REF4 environment data
- Upload REF5 environment templates
Manage elements of the submission process
- Identify decisions still to be made (staff and outputs)
- Identify where data missing (e.g. DOIs, staff on leave of absence)
- Identify those records that will fail submission system validation due to missing / wrong data
- Identify records still to be verified
- Capture peer grades and comments on research outputs, to support selection decisions
- Show citation counts
- Track DOI / PDF / hard copy submission of outputs
- Maintain records for audit purposes
- Provide users with a flexible range of REF user roles and rights that reflect how your institution manages its REF submission
The REF1a/c Summary screen shows summary level information for all staff, including:
- Research Group assignment(s)
- number of outputs expected to be submitted, given individual circumstances
- number of outputs published in REF census period
- how many have been proposed for REF
- associated REF4 data
- validation status of the REF1a/c record
The REF OA Monitoring : Overall compliance summary screen is one of the tools included in the REF module that helps institutions monitor their compliance with the REF OA policy. Grouped by either organisational unit or REF UoA, this screen shows a summary of the REF OA compliance of the institution’s outputs, including overall compliance and exception rates.
Pure Reporting module
With Pure’s Reporting module, you can …
- Build - Pure’s flexible reporting engine allows you to generate and distribute reports on REF content.
- Share - Pure can be scheduled to run recurring reports at prescheduled intervals and email them automatically as a Microsoft® Word, Adobe® PDF, Microsoft Excel, or HTML file to your predefined distribution lists.
- Streamline - Pure allows you to consolidate and submit critically required data, thereby streamlining the demanding REF process.
- Institutions across the world have implemented Pure. In the United Kingdom, 37 different institutions are Pure customers, including 33 % of Russell Group institutions.
- As a group, Pure institutions represent 34% of the Cat A FTEs submitted to REF2014.
- 17 Pure users ranked in the top 50
- Over 65% of UK Pure users ranked in the top 50 institutions for the REF2014
Access our list of clients here.
- Full support: We offer full support for REF submission requirements such that, should you wish to manage your submission in such a way, your REF users never have to engage with the REF Submission System directly – all functions (including generating REF Submission System reports) can be done directly in Pure.
- Reproduction of submission validation rules: The REF module in Pure reproduces the submission validation rules, such that users can resolve validation issues well in advance of any upload of data to the REF Submission System.
- REF collaboration: We collaborate with the REF Working Group of the UK Pure User Group to define requirements and priorities as details of the submission requirements become known.
- Experience: Our team has extensive REF experience, both as practitioners and as a trusted service partner. Manya Buchan, Pure Product Manager, joined the Pure team in 2014 from the University of Edinburgh where she was responsible for managing the University’s RAE2008 and REF2014 submissions.
- Mock exercises: The REF module is already available for use, based on REF2014 functionality (with revised census dates and periods) – enabling you to start submission preparations or undertake mock exercises immediately.
- Easy to adopt: Pure includes functionality to enable new customers to upload details of who and what outputs were submitted to REF2014, and includes logic and bespoke legacy import processes to ensure REF OA compliance data is maintained during the implementation process
- Active User Community: Our UK Pure user group meets 3 times a year to share best practices and give feedback on the product roadmap so we can ensure Pure continues to meet the needs of our customers
Pure was excellent for managing compliance with REF2014 requirements.IT Professional, Educational Institution