With more than 70 members the Sealy Institute for Vaccine Sciences (SIVS) incorporates the expertise of more than 100 cutting-edge research programs. The faculty and staff of the SIVS strive to generate, perfect, and promote the most effective and safest disease prevention strategies. In this effort, the Institute carries on the proud tradition of medical research and discovery that has been a hallmark of the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) since its inception.
See full profile
The SIVS combines the expertise of basic scientists in many areas, including virologists, bacteriologists, parasitologists, materials scientists and immunologists, and physician-scientists who undertake clinical research and regulatory scientists with experience necessary to prepare a candidate vaccine for progression into the testing and evaluation pipeline.
As one of the most comprehensive university-based vaccine development centers in the US, the SIVS participates in four out of the five components (excluding manufacturing) of the vaccine development pathway:
- Basic & Discovery Research
- Vaccines for infectious diseases, including chronic diseases
- Biothreat agents, BSL2-BSL4
- Pre/Nonclinical Development
- Animal models of infectious diseases
- Regulated studies and quality systems
- Clinical Research and Trials
- Phase I-IV vaccine clinical trials
- Federal and Pharma studies
- Policy and vaccine acceptance research
- Public and healthcare provider education
Visit website: www.utmb.edu/sivs
We’re dedicated to fulfilling the promise of human potential, in all places, in all aspects and stages of life. We believe that health is the key to that promise. Because at our healthiest, we’re capable of achieving anything. And that’s why our pursuit of helping people achieve their best health at every life stage will never end. This is how we put that belief into practice each and every day.
View full profile
We are here for the people we serve in their pursuit of healthy lives. This has been the way of Abbott for more than a century—passionately and thoughtfully translating science into lasting contributions to health.
Our products encircle life, from newborns to aging adults, from nutrition and diagnostics through medical care and pharmaceutical therapy.
Caring is central to the work we do and defines our responsibility to those we serve.
- We advance leading-edge science and technologies that hold the potential for significant improvements to health and to the practice of health care.
- We value our diversity—that of our products, technologies, markets and people—and believe that diverse perspectives combined with shared goals inspire new ideas and better ways of addressing changing health needs.
- We focus on exceptional performance—a hallmark of Abbott people worldwide—demanding of ourselves and each other because our work impacts people’s lives.
- We strive to earn the trust of those we serve by committing to the highest standards of quality, excellence in personal relationships, and behavior characterized by honesty, fairness and integrity.
- We sustain success—for our business and the people we serve—by staying true to key tenets upon which our company was founded over a century ago: innovative care and a desire to make a meaningful difference in all that we do.
The promise of our company is in the promise that our work holds for health and life.