Inspec: Engineering Research Database
Inspec, a comprehensive engineering research database provides the academic, industry, and government sectors with an intuitive, searchable engineering database that covers a wide variety of fields. Inspec provides engineering research information on physics, electrical engineering and electronics, computers and control, mechanical, production engineering, information technology and more.
Inspec was created by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), and is one of the world's most definitive bibliographic scientific engineering research databases, containing over 15 million abstracts and indexing records. Researchers at the world's top universities have relied on the Inspec engineering research database as a trusted source for relevant, peer reviewed scientific content for over 40 years. Download the Factsheet.
Why Inspec on Engineering Village
Engineering Village is one of the few platforms where Inspec can be searched together with Ei Compendex. By searching both engineering research databases together, engineers gain access to the broadest engineering source available with a single database search experience. Other unique features of searching Inspec on Engineering Village are:
- Deduplication of Inspec and Ei Compendex search results
- Access to all Engineering Village's powerful search and productivity tools
- Access to citation counts, citation details and author profiles from Scopus
- Thesaurus terms for a combined Inspec and Ei Compendex search
Inspec: Intuitive Engineering Resources
Content size (and counting*)
- Over 16,5 Million records > 1969
- New records added each year
- +50,000 conference proceedings
- +11 million Journal articles
- +4.9 Million Conference papers
- 2 Million Items with Numerical Indexing
Content sources (and counting*)
- 1,000+ publishers from 68 countries
- Over 5,000 journal titles
- 70,000+ conferences
- Nearly 6,000 videos
- 450+ open access journals
- 14,000+ book titles
* count as of November 2014
IET Inspec subject coverage 1
- Physics 60%
- Electrical Engineering & Electronics 40%
- Computers & Control 30%
- Mechanical & Production Engineering 10%
- IT for Business 2%
1 documents can cover multiple subject areas
Inspec Physics Breakdown:
- The physics of elementary particles and fields
- Nuclear physics
- Atomic and molecular physics
- Fundamental areas of phenomenology
- Fluids, plasmas and electric discharges
- Condensed matter: structure, thermal and mechanical properties
- Condensed matter: electronic structure, electrical, magnetic, and optical properties
- Cross-disciplinary physics and related areas of science and technology
- Geophysics, astronomy and astrophysics
Inspec can be supplemented with the Inspec Archive to extend coverage. Records in the archive are often much longer than present day records and often contain diagrams and mathematical proofs. These Science Abstracts series of engineering journals were the precursor to the Inspec engineering research database and cover 837,000 records dating back to 1898. Its records have been digitized and indexed for fast, effective searching and are enhanced with current day Inspec Thesaurus terms and Classification codes.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.