Reports on usage are an important tool to show the value of digital resources. Elsevier supplies customers with usage reports for most of their products. Several of Elsevier’s products supply customers with COUNTER-compliant usage reports.
Usage reports for ScienceDirect, Journal Websites, Journal Mobile Apps and Scopus can be accessed via the AdminTool.
To request administrator rights or to identify your administrator(s) please follow the directions here.
COUNTER is an international initiative serving librarians, publishers and intermediaries by setting standards that facilitate the recording and reporting of online usage statistics in a consistent, credible and compatible way. Elsevier is an active participant in COUNTER.
COUNTER offers reports in different categories; Elsevier offers a subset of COUNTER reports which are listed below. Different products offer different reports, for details please refer to the product section on this page.
- JR1 – Number of Successful Full-Text Article Requests by Month and Journal
- JR1 GOA – Number of Successful Gold Open Access Full-text Article Requests by Month and Journal
- JR2 – Access Denied to Full-text Articles by Month, Journal and Category
- JR5 – Number of Successful Full-Text Article Requests by Year-of-Publication (YOP) and Journal
Journal Reports User Guide (pdf 912 kb)
- BR2 – Number of Successful Section Requests by Month and Title
- BR3 – Access Denied to Content Items by Month, Title and Category
Book Reports User Guide (pdf 912 kb)
- PR1 – Total Searches, Result Clicks and record Views by Month and Platform
(a combination of journals and book usage)
- CR1– Number of Successful Full-Text Journal Article or Book Chapter Requests by Month (only available via SUSHI).
SUSHI (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative) is an automated data exchange protocol for COUNTER reports. To activate SUSHI services and reports from Elsevier, please complete the appropriate application form from the list below.
For ScienceDirect, Journal Websites and Journal Mobile Apps, or Scopus:
- SUSHI Application Form (docx 88.0 kb)
- Guide for Using SUSHI Services and Reports from Elsevier (pdf 664 kb)
ScienceDirect offers COUNTER-compliant reports around content use. These reports include JR1, JR1GOA , JR2, JR5, CR1, BR2 and BR3. With a license to ScienceDirect, users are also able to access the full text of their entitled journals via journal branded websites (e.g. www.Cell.com, www.TheLancet.com) or the journal branded mobile app’s (e.g. the Cell Press Reader Mobile App.) COUNTER reports are also available for these platforms; they include JR1, JR1GOA and JR5.
In addition to the COUNTER compliant reports, ScienceDirect offers additional reports, showing the value of the platform.
A new usage report tool – differences explained (pdf 74 kb) - 1 August 2016
Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. Scopus offers the COUNTER-compliant usage report Platform Report 1. (PR1) as well as additional non-COUNTER-compliant usage reports.