Cookies on ScienceDirect
The cookies used on this website are as follows:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. For example, authentication and security cookies are used to identify and recognize registered users and to enable them to gain access to requested content or features. Without these cookies, services you have asked for cannot be provided.
- Functionality cookies. These cookies allow our websites to remember the choices you make and your account preferences and to provide enhanced, more personal features. For example, these cookies will remember your log-in details.
- Performance cookies. These are analytics and research cookies that allow us to collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. This helps us to improve the way the website works and allows us to test different ideas on the site.
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to the website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make the website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
The table below explains performance and targeting cookies from our suppliers and their purpose. Please note that the cookies and other technologies may change over time.
Google Analytics and Google DoubleClick
These web analytics cookies, provided by Google Inc., are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. In addition, we use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the Google DoubleClick cookie) together to help us measure and optimise the effectiveness of our online marketing campaigns.
Adobe Analytics and Adobe Audience Manager
These cookies, provided by Optimizely Inc., are used to provide an A/B testing framework that helps us to experiment with new features on our site and analyse how those features are performing.
These cookies, provided by Usabilla, are used for their embedded feedback application so that we can gather and make best use of customer feedback and ensure that you do not see a survey you have completed again and again.
These cookies, provided by SOASTA, are used for anonymous performance tracking of the pages and site in mPulse so that we can measure and improve performance for example of certain page load times or across entire regions. It also helps us to identify when problems may be occurring with users accessing the site or when pages are not loading properly.
These cookies, provided by Facebook, are set when a visitor is logged in to or otherwise using their service. This allows a user to easily comment or share an article with their peers through the Mendeley social network. They also deliver advertisements to website visitors to help us measure and optimise the effectiveness of our online marketing campaigns and service you with advertisements that may be relevant to you and your interests.
These cookies, provided by New Relic, Inc., are used to collect information about how visitors interact with our website. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the website.
You can prevent your browser from accepting certain cookies, have the browser require your consent before a new cookie is placed in your browser, or block cookies altogether by selecting the appropriate settings on your browser privacy preferences menu. To avoid receiving cookies on the browser of your mobile device, you will need to refer to its user manual. For information on how to opt-out of cookies set by our suppliers, please visit the applicable links listed in the table above. However, if you block certain cookies, you may not be able to register, log in to, access certain parts of or make full use of ScienceDirect.
The links below will help you find the settings for some common browsers:
- Manage cookie settings in Chrome and Chrome Android and Chrome iOS
- Manage cookie settings in Safari and Safari iOS
- Manage cookie settings in Firefox
- Manage cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Manage cookie settings in Opera
Last revised: 13.04.2018