8:30 – 9:00 AM
9:00 – 9:30 AM
Welcome & Introductory Remarks
- Nick Fowler, PhD, Managing Director, Research Networks, Elsevier
- Holly Falk-Krzesinski, PhD, Vice President for Research Intelligence, Elsevier
9:30 – 10:15 AM
Opening Keynote: The Impact of Science
This presentation will focus on the need for and challenges associated with demonstrating the impact of science to stakeholders and society and how thinking and expectations around understanding impact are evolving.
- Daniel Sarewitz, PhD, Professor and Co-director, Consortium for Science, Policy, and Outcomes, Arizona State University
10:15 – 10:45 AM
Coffee and Networking Break
10:45 – 11:45 AM
Panel Discussion: Evaluating Research
This session will include a discussion of the context and approaches to evaluating research and research assessment activities, including the output and impact of funded research, evaluating researchers, programs and/or institutions, and input to funding allocation policies.
- Moody Altamimi, PhD, Director, Office of Research Excellence, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, United States Department of Energy
- Sherry Sours-Brothers, PhD, Manager, Research Outcomes, American Heart Association
- Kari Wojtanik, PhD, Senior Manager, Evaluation & Outcomes, Susan G. Komen
11:45 AM – 12:45 PM
12:45 – 1:30 PM
Keynote: Reproducibility in Research
This session will address the critical nature of transparency and reproducibility in research and its applications, and how the reliability of research factors into public trust in science.
- John P.A. Loannidis, MD, DSc, Professor and Co-Director, Meta-Research Innovation Center, Stanford University
1:30 – 2:30 PM
Panel Discussion: Open Science
This panel will tackle many of the established and emerging topics related to open science--including open access and preprints, research data sharing, and citizen science--along with incentives that promote open science.
- Jason Gerson, PhD, Senior Program Officer, Clinical Effectiveness and Decision Science, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) and Co-chair, Open Science Task Force, Health Research Alliance
- Mike Huerta, PhD, National Library of Medicine, Coordinator for Data Science and Open Science Initiatives, National Institutes of Health
- Sarah Nusser, PhD, Vice President for Research, Iowa State University
- Carly Robinson, PhD, Senior Product Strategist/Senior Science Advisor, Office of Scientific and Technical Information, US Department of Energy
2:30 – 3:00 PM
Afternoon Networking Break
3:00 – 4:00 PM
Panel Discussion: Scientific Review
This panel will discuss essential elements of grant proposal review, often considered the linchpin of the research process, including: reviewer identification in consideration of reviewer fatigue and the growth of interdisciplinary research; managing the proposal review process; and evaluating review and piloting new approaches.
- Anand Desai, Section Head, Evaluation and Assessment Capability. Office of Integrated Activities, National Science Foundation
4:00 – 4:15 PM
Summary of Day One
- Ann Gabriel, Vice President, Academic & Research Relations, Elsevier
4:15 – 5:15 PM