The Isaac Heertje Distinguished Scientist Award
Dr. Isaac Heertje was a world-leading food structure expert employed for many years at Unilever in the Netherlands. To this day, his research achievements constitute some of the highest quality research performed in this field.
During its inaugural meeting in the Netherlands in 2014, the Food Structure and Functionality Forum established the Isaac Heertje Distinguished Scientist award to recognise a high-level scientist from industry, government or academia that has made a significant contribution to the field of food structure and functionality. We are continuing this burgeoning tradition for 2020.
Candidates are to be nominated by a colleague familiar with their work. Amongst the contributions to research achievements to be considered by the selection committee are:
- Research activity – cumulative contributions, seminal articles or monographs, etc.;
- Significant breakthrough(s) in an individual's research field;
- Previous recognitions by professional societies and other distinguished awards of international character, and;
- Contributions to the training and research careers of graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, research scientists and technical staff.
Award recipients shall present a seminar at the Food Structure and Functionality Symposium taking place 17-20 October 2021. in Cork, Ireland, in which they will outline the research achievements.
The nomination package will include:
- Comprehensive summary (5 page maximum) of the research achievements of the nominee, including a brief CV.
- Supporting statement (2 page maximum) of why the nominator(s) feel that this scholar's work has proved outstanding and important to the advancement of food structure and functionality.
- Citation (100 word maximum) – Highlight why the nominee deserves this award and any notable achievements.
- Supporting materials, including, if appropriate, external appraisals of the nominee's work and one or two significant publications. (Support materials are limited to 5 documents.)
The award recipient shall be chosen by the Food Structure and Functionality Awards Committee.
The nomination package must be submitted by by 23 April 2021 to Content-FSTR2020@elsevier.com with the subject heading “The Isaac Heertje Distinguished Scientist Award”.
An official representative from the Food Structure and Functionality Symposium organizing committee will contact the selected nominee no later than 16 July 2021. The chosen Award recipient(s) will receive a trophy, monetary award and complementary registration to participate in the Food Structure and Functionality Symposium 2020.