Elsevier to Launch Library Learning Trends at ALA Annual Conference
New program provides latest views on library information science topics and professional development opportunities online and in-person
Waltham, MA, June 23, 2015
Elsevier, a world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services, today announced the launch of Library Learning Trends, a professional development program for librarians and information resource managers. The program kicks off with four events at the American Library Association (ALA) 2015 Annual Conference in San Francisco, June 25-30.
Library Learning Trends taps into the knowledge and expertise of authors for Chandos Publishing, the Elsevier imprint covering library information science (LIS). Content from these books and authors will offer librarians and information resource managers the latest views on a variety of topics and provide career development opportunities, both in-person and online.
At the ALA Annual Conference at Elsevier booth #504, librarians can enter Book Giveaways at the Elsevier booth each day to win LIS books. Three Chandos authors will give presentations in the booth on challenges faced by today’s library information professionals:
- Saturday, June 27, 11:00 am: Informed Systems by Mary M. Somerville
- Saturday, June 27, 3:00 pm: Copyright Librarianship by Linda Frederiksen
- Sunday, June 28, 11:00 am: Information Throughout the Ages by Debra Lucas-Alfieri
Also at ALA, Elsevier is hosting a free luncheon and speaker event on Saturday, June 27, 12-1:30 pm, Data-driven Decision Making in the Library and Beyond:
- Anne Mitchell, Head of Acquisitions, University of Texas at San Antonio Libraries, and Mary Somerville, University Librarian and Professor at University of Colorado Denver, will discuss how they use information to shape decisions and how to share this information outside the library to further align strategic goals.
- Location: Parc 55 San Francisco (a Hilton Hotel), Mission Room - 4th floor, 55 Cyril Magnin Street, San Francisco, CA 94102, a 10-minute walk from Moscone Convention Center
- Registration required here
Library Learning Trends online offerings include content from Chandos books via Elsevier Connect. The latest article is “Tips on marketing the 21st-century library (from an ‘unlikely librarian’)” by Debra Lucas-Alfieri and more articles are planned this year. Additional excerpts already on Elsevier Connect include:
- “The academic library as an educational system: Making the most of your library – and getting the word out about it through ‘proactive marketing’” by Melissa U.D. Goldsmith, PhD, MLIS, and Anthony J. Fonseca, PhD, MLIS
- “Prince or plebe? Success at all levels of the library hierarchy Tips – and a webinar – on leveraging your power from The Machiavellian Librarian” by Megan Hodge
- “Seven (serious) networking tips from The Machiavellian Librarian: Advice to broaden your library’s influence (and your own) – and an upcoming discussion at ALA conference” by André Nault
Lastly, a free ebook, Marketing the Academic Library, contains chapters from five Chandos books and is available as a PDF or ePub file. More ebooks of this type will be available in the future as part of the program.
All of the Chandos LIS books are available on the Elsevier Store and on ScienceDirect, Elsevier’s full-text scientific database offering journal articles and book chapters from over 2,500 peer-reviewed journals and more than 33,000 book titles.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps scientists and clinicians to find new answers, reshape human knowledge, and tackle the most urgent human crises. For 140 years, we have partnered with the research world to curate and verify scientific knowledge. Today, we’re committed to bringing that rigor to a new generation of platforms. Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, 39,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray's Anatomy. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries. www.elsevier.com
Publicity Manager, Science & Technology Books
+1 781 663 2268