UK National Archives
UK government employees can publish open access with Elsevier in alignment with Government policy and the requirements for Crown Copyright. An open access publishing fee will need to be paid to cover the costs of publication. Funding may be available from your Department. Note this agreement applies to Crown Servants only. Educational and research establishments in the UK, for example universities, are covered by other agreements.
Publishing gold open access
- UK government authors publishing articles under Crown copyright can do so in an Elsevier Open Access Journal or in an established journal which supports open access publishing. Upon publication, Elsevier will provide immediate and permanent free access to the final published article on ScienceDirect under the terms of the Open Government License 3.0.
- After acceptance, authors are required to complete a specific license agreement (rather than the one presented to them through the electronic submission system) and return this to the Elsevier Rights and Permissions team via firstname.lastname@example.org
- This license grants Elsevier exclusive first publishing rights in the article and enables the author to retain copyright of the article.
- To choose the gold open access option a publication fee is payable by the author or department. Elsevier's fees range from 500 – 5000 US Dollars. Your government department will need to provide funding to support this publication option. Visit the individual journal homepages for specific open access pricing information.
- After publication please cite the version of record of the article on Elsevier’s platform via its DOI link. End users are able to re-use the article under the terms of the Open Government license 3.0.
Help and support
- See The National Archives website for information about Crown copyright and the UK Government Licensing Framework and for guidance on "Publication of articles written by ministers and civil servants in journals and conference proceedings".
- For Crown copyright queries email email@example.com
- For queries to Elsevier please contact us