Dunhill Medical Trust (DMT)
Elsevier has established a funding body agreement with DMT to help authors publishing in Elsevier journals comply and to facilitate a successful implementation of their policy. Details about how to comply are outlined below.
The Dunhill Medical Trust (DMT) grantees whose proposals were submitted from 2008 onwards are required to submit an electronic copy of the final manuscript of their research papers to PubMed Central (PMC) or UK PubMed Central (UKPMC) within six months of publication. Dunhill Medical Trust - funded authors are free to choose the (gold) open access option offered by Elsevier.
Gold open access
- Authors can comply by publishing in either an Elsevier open access journal or in a subscription journal which offers a gold open access option. This includes journals published by The Lancet.
- To provide open access, a publication fee needs to be met for each article published open access. For information about specific open access publication fees, please refer to the individual journal 's guide for authors. The funding provided for open access fees will be in the form of a one-off sum that will be added to the grant awarded by DMT and the amount will be on a sliding scale dependent on the size of the grant, i.e:Grants up to £50,000 - £1,000, Grants from £50,000 to £100,000 - £2,000, Grants over £100,000 - £3,000.
- Please Note: Applicants are not required to apply for this funding. It will be automatically added to all research project and programme grants awarded by DMT. Grant holders will however be expected to account in their final report for their use of the funding provided and will be required to provide evidence that publications arising from the work funded are available on open access site(s). (see the DMT website).
- Upon final publication, Elsevier will immediately send to UKPMC the final published journal article (PJA) as it appears on ScienceDirect. PMC and PMC mirror sites will also link directly to this same article on Elsevier’s websites.
- All articles published open access have permitted reuse which is determined by the author's choice of user license.
Green open access
- Dunhill Medical Trust funded authors, who do not have funds available for gold open access can self-archive their accepted author manuscript on Europe PMC after the embargo period for their specific journal has expired.
- Permitted reuse of posted manuscripts and additional terms and conditions can be found online.