UK Prepaid Open Access Plan
To help UK authors comply with the RCUK mandate for open access publishing, Elsevier has developed a prepayment plan for open access publication fees. This plan is administered by Jisc, on behalf of participating UK universities.
This prepaid option is available for authors employed at the following universities:
- University of Bristol
- University College London
- King's College London
- University of Strathclyde
- Loughborough University
- Rothamsted Research
- Surrey University
- Nottingham Trent University
- The Francis Crick Institute
How to use the prepaid open access plan
After acceptance, authors will be able to indicate the eligibility of their article for the prepaid plan when filling out their funding body information. Authors are asked to select the "Jisc-UK Prepaid" option for the following organizations:
- Arts & Humanities Research Council
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
- Economic and Social Research Council
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Medical Research Council
- Natural Environment Research Council
- Science and Technology Facilities Council
Authors of eligible articles do not have to pay an open access publication fee. Elsevier will ensure your open access publication fees are covered by the prepaid plan and your article is published open access.
For an article to be eligible for the prepaid open access plan, it must fulfill the following criteria:
- The corresponding author is an employee of a participating university
- The article acknowledges funding from a Research Councils UK body (and indicates the grant number)
- The article is accepted for publication during the eligibility period for the relevant participating university
Please note: The prepaid plan does not cover Cell Press and Lancet titles. If the prepaid option is selected but the article is not eligible for the prepaid plan, then the author will be invoiced directly for the open access publication fee. A delay in publication of the article may also result.
Other articles that you wish to publish open access may also be eligible for the scheme. Please contact your university library who can advise on eligibility.