See what SciVal can do for you
A web-based analytics solution with unparalleled power and flexibility that provides comprehensive access to the research performance of over 14,000 research institutions and their associated researchers from 230 nations worldwide. SciVal allows you to visualize your research performance, benchmark relative to peers, develop strategic partnerships, identify and analyze new, emerging research trends, and create uniquely tailored reports.
SciVal at a glance
SciVal helps you assess your institution's research performance from a variety of perspectives in order to establish, execute and evaluate strategies based on reliable evidence.
Our Profile Refinement Service pre-populates SciVal with your institution's researchers and departments so you can start analyzing their performance straight away.
Using advanced data analytics, SciVal allows you to instantly process an enormous amount of data:
- Over 50 million publication records (post 1996) from more than 22,000 journals of 5,000+ publishers worldwide
- Access to research information from more than 14,000 research institutions and their associated researchers from 230 nations worldwide through more than 280 trillion metric values enable you to generate powerful analyses and data visualizations on-demand.
|Integrated modular platform||Visualize research performance from multiple perspectives using SciVal's intuitive interface.|
|Create and analyze research entities||Test scenarios by modeling Research Areas or groups such as newly evolving interdisciplinary Research Areas, groups of researchers to apply for a large-scale grant program, or potential departmental reorganizations.|
|Select simple or sophisticated metrics||Select and combine any set of metrics to monitor research entities performance or select a reporting template to gain a balanced overview quickly.|
|Big Data Technology||View and analyze large datasets, quickly, and generate visualizations and tables on-demand.|
|Scopus publications and citation data||Get access to comprehensive publication data drawn from Scopus, the largest abstract and citation database of peer reviewed publications.|
|Scopus usage data||Incorporate COUNTER compliant usage data from Scopus into your analysis to reflect the engagement of the research community.|
|Patent article citations data||Get a proxy for innovation and knowledge transfer with patent-article citations – i.e. specific references in patents to published research – from five of the world’s largest patent offices (WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office), EPO (European Patent Office), JPO (Japan Patent Office) & IPO (Intellectual Property Office, UK)|
Visualize research performance
Access comprehensive research performance summaries of any desired research entities, identify their unique research strengths and multidisciplinary Research Areas.
- Retrieve at-a-glance, standardized reports instantly with reporting templates or create your own reports
- Get a high-level overview of the research performance of your institution, other institutions, countries and researchers
- Access Topic Prominence in Science overviews for research entities such as institutions, countries and researchers
SciVal gives our researchers the ability to export an overview of their own performance at the click of a button.
Sam Gray, Impact and Engagement Manager, Manchester Metropolitan University
Benchmark your progress
Compare the performance of institutions, countries, and pre-defined groups, or create your own Research Areas and monitor progress over time.
- Perform in-depth analyses to meet your specific objectives by selecting any combination of subject areas and metrics from a comprehensive set
- Identify your relative strengths and weaknesses to inform your research planning and strategy
SciVal goes beyond the simple metrics and offers a range of sophisticated indicators to analyze research impact.
Jonathan Greer, Research Information Manager, Queen’s University Belfast
Develop collaborative partnerships
Analyze existing and potential collaborations and partnerships, as well as key contributing researchers based on publication output and citation impact.
- Highly accurate profiles are backed up by an array of metrics and visualizations that provide insights into focus, activity, productivity and impact, supporting the development of new and existing partnerships across all sectors.
- Identify collaborative institutions and co-authorships by drilling into specific subject areas, Topics of Prominence or self-defined research topics.
Analyze research trends
Analyze the research trends of any Research Area, Topic or Topic Cluster with citation and usage data, to discover key researchers, rising stars and current developments in fields of interest.
- View the overall performance of a Research Area, then dig deeper into the activity and impact of the institutions, countries, authors and journals involved and inform your research strategy accordingly.
- Usage information complements citation data to give a more complete picture of research performance and activity.
Utilize reporting templates or create customized Reports
You can quickly utilize reporting templates for researchers, institutions and Topics to gain a balanced overview of these entities, or create analyses from across the modules, combining a selection of analyses to create uniquely tailored Reports.
- Save your most used reports in SciVal to export and share whenever you need to
- Select from a number of predefined reporting templates as a starting point
- Edit the analyses, adding and removing entities, changing the year range and/or selecting more metrics and save
- Share Reports with other SciVal users within your Institution
Institutions around the world use Elsevier's Research Intelligence tools to answer the most pressing challenges that their researchers and research managers face.Here are some of their stories
Research Intelligence in action
A selection of infographics using our data, metrics and tools. Where will the data take you?