Who we serve
ScienceDirect is the world’s leading platform for peer-reviewed literature, helping academic institutions, governments, and corporate R&D teams access the latest insights and build on established knowledge to move their research forward.
Academic and government
ScienceDirect fact sheet (PDF, 2.5 MB)
For academic institutions and government organizations focused on research, ScienceDirect features powerful search technology and retrieval tools to help you go beyond search to discover new breakthroughs. Access high-quality interdisciplinary research with greater efficiency and effectiveness to gain critical insights and make confident research decisions.
- From foundational science to novel research, explore technical, medical and scientific research to gain the latest insights;
- Receive personalized recommendations based on your reading history, what your peers are reading and the latest Scopus citation data;
- Create custom alerts tailored to the publications and topics of study that interest you;
- Use ScienceDirect Topics to quickly get up to speed in a new research area with introductory overviews to help you understand and interpret scientific literature.
I have been using ScienceDirect much more extensively than other electronic databases as it is more complete, and now many of its journals in my field are of excellent quality.
– Dr. Nyoman Pujawan, Professor of Supply Chain Engineering and Head of Graduate Programme at the Department of Industrial Engineering, Sepuluh Nopember Institute of Technology (ITS), Indonesia
Sign in or register now
Gaining a competitive edge in corporate R&D comes from bringing effective solutions to market faster than your competition. ScienceDirect serves scientists, researchers, chemists and engineers in driving innovation and supporting R&D and product innovation by providing you with instant access to the latest literature research and scientific discoveries.
Pharma and life sciences
In the world of pharmaceutical research, mistakes are costly. ScienceDirect helps pharmaceutical companies accelerate the path to early drug discovery and time to market by keeping researchers connected to the latest developments and insights in disease biology, drug discovery, pharmacology, pre-clinical and clinical studies and more.
- Spark innovation and retain your competitive edge by keeping on top of the latest developments in your field—and beyond
- Discover ways to improve your R&D productivity by quickly and effectively overcoming drug development challenges, whether they are commercial, technical or regulatory
- Delivery evidence in support of critical decisions and minimize late-stage risk by referencing relevant full-text peer-reviewed literature covering experiments and trials
- Find answers more quickly with advanced search and retrieval capabilities, including ScienceDirect Topics, Personal Recommender and Advanced Recommender
Pharma and life sciences fact sheet (PDF, 746 KB)
Chemicals and materials
In the Chemicals and Materials industries, new product development faces ongoing setbacks related to meeting technical performance requirements, complying with environmental and health policies, and budget restraints. Access to ScienceDirect not only alleviates these challenges but improves the researcher workflow through the stage gate process. ScienceDirect’s interdisciplinary research and insights can help your organization:
- Be at the forefront of new chemical and material research topics and developments
- Reduce R&D costs by validating opportunities for new product development
- Improve risk management and accelerate your go-to-market launch with verified findings
- Gain insights into green chemistry to drive sustainable chemical development
Chemicals and materials fact sheet (PDF, 799 KB)
Oil and gas
The Oil & Gas and Energy industry faces constant change when it comes to oil prices, infrastructure costs, clean energy production, and reducing carbon footprints and methane emissions. ScienceDirect helps organizations mitigate business risk, increase strategic knowledge and capabilities, and save costs on project investments. Maintain a competitive edge with vast access to the latest science and engineering research by:
- Mitigating HSE risks and achieving operational excellence with access to millions of full-text articles, book chapters, and e-books from Elsevier
- Validating research findings, methods, and experiments to improve scientific expertise and accelerate your product pipeline
- Developing strong infrastructure, advancing exploration and extraction, and evolving your manufacturing and energy production processes
Oil and gas fact sheet (PDF, 882 KB)
Engineering and technology
The high-tech industry is a driving force for innovation across all industries. R&D scientists need to drive innovation to gain a competitive edge, while minimizing safety risks and achieving cost savings. ScienceDirect can help high-tech developments happen faster, driven by insights into technological advancements, including catalysing efficient production, bio-based plastics and state-of-the-art assembly lines.
- Accelerate innovation by securing the right information at the right time to drive your patent roadmaps and product successes
- Improve speed to market while meeting the latest regulatory requirements and reducing the risk of unfeasible projects
- Support open innovation efforts to collaborate with the right partners and ensure your interdisciplinary research is visible across the globe
Engineering and technology fact sheet (PDF, 1.8 MB)
Automotive and equipment manufacturing
In the push to electronic and autonomous vehicles, the automotive industry faces an extremely competitive market and significant environmental, regulatory and cost savings challenges. The demand for new technologies is growing as manufacturers attempt to make more energy-efficient vehicles, while also facing the threat of competition from companies traditionally outside their industry. ScienceDirect helps automotive companies to:
- Accelerate the development of new technologies with access to the smart research insights in transportation sciences
- Bring together interdisciplinary research in engineering, computer sciences, electronics, materials sciences and environmental sciences to spur innovation
- Support open innovation efforts via collaboration with partners around the globe
Automotive fact sheet (PDF, 1.3 MB)
Consumer packaged goods
Revenues in the consumer packaged goods industry are on the decline, making it essential for CPG companies to get breakthrough innovation off the ground. While consumer demands and regulatory changes are constantly changing, ScienceDirect provides CPG companies with access to smart research insights into the latest innovations in materials, packaging technologies and nutraceuticals.
- Combine interdisciplinary research into consumer behaviour, technology, regulations to enable successful product outcomes
- Focus on new scientific developments in low-impact production, transportation and storage to gain a competitive edge
- Offer truly innovative products, rather than lifecycle extensions that do not satisfy consumer need
Consumer packaged goods fact sheet (PDF, 1.0 MB)
We can save a lot of experiments by knowing what others did and what their conclusions are... and that's where Elsevier's ScienceDirect comes in. If I didn't have access to ScienceDirect, I think I would feel incomplete in doing my work.
– Gordon, Ph.D. Industrial scientist, ScienceDirect user
Reading History helps you keep track of articles you have viewed
See our newest ScienceDirect feature in action.Sign in or register now