Improving repository services at your institution
ScienceDirect APIs improve the coverage and discoverability of content on your institutional repository to help you maintain a comprehensive, accurate and timely scholarly record. Your IR will be enhanced in several ways:
- Automatic ingestion of metadata and abstracts of all articles by authors affiliated with your institution
- Users can easily identify and link to the best article version available to them, whether it’s the final version embedded on your repository, on ScienceDirect or via an accepted manuscript locally hosted on your IR
- Enhance your compliance with funding body and publisher policies by automatic ingestion of embargo end dates
- Ensure readership statistics of articles are included in reports to authors and institutional stakeholders
The ScienceDirect API services are available to all IRs free of charge upon acceptance of the basic terms and conditions as set out in the ScienceDirect amendment or via an agreement for non-ScienceDirect customers.
Are you interested in implementing ScienceDirect API services or want to learn more?
Institutions using DSpace can additionally benefit from Elsevier plug-ins. These plug-ins facilitate optimal integration of ScienceDirect APIs within your repository.
New pilot project to embed author accepted manuscripts in IRs using ScienceDirect API Services
We invite you, as a ScienceDirect customer, to join a new pilot program that will embed author accepted manuscripts into your institutional repository. This pilot is an extension of our existing ScienceDirect API Services Program.
Our APIs will link users affiliated with an institution not subscribed to ScienceDirect, to an online reading version of an author’s accepted manuscript that Elsevier will provide. Author accepted manuscripts will be embedded within your institutional repository after the relevant article’s embargo period has ended.
To express your interest in participating in our new author accepted manuscripts pilot program, register with us.
If you have questions about Elsevier’s ScienceDirect API Services for IRs, please submit them via email to email@example.com.
- See live ScienceDirect API functionality integrated within IR@UF
- Article about the pilot project with University of Florida
- Press release about the pilot project with University of Florida
- Webinar recording about the pilot project with University of Florida
- Librarian’s Process for Building an Institutional Repository