Improving repository services at your institution
ScienceDirect APIs improve the coverage and discoverability of content on your institutional repository to help you maintain a comprehensive, accurate and timely scholarly record. Your IR will be enhanced in several ways:
- Automatic ingestion of metadata and abstracts of journal articles and book chapters, available immediately upon online publication, of your institution’s affiliated authors
- Users can easily identify and link to the best version available to them, whether it’s a gold open access article, the full-text published version or a locally hosted accepted manuscript
- Keep users on your IR by embedding full-text articles on IR pages
- Enhance your compliance with funding body and publisher policies by automatic ingestion of embargo end dates
- Ensure readership statistics of articles are included in reports to authors and institutional stakeholders
The ScienceDirect API services as described in the IR/CRIS/VIVO use case, are available to all IRs free of charge upon acceptance of a click-through agreement when registering for an API key. If your institution cannot accept a click-through agreement, you can contact your local sales representative for a regular ScienceDirect amendment or an Agreement for non-ScienceDirect customers.
Are you interested in implementing ScienceDirect API services or want to learn more?
Institutions using DSpace can additionally benefit from Elsevier plug-ins for DSpace, which can be downloaded here. These plug-ins facilitate optimal integration of ScienceDirect APIs within your repository.
ScienceDirect API services integrated with Elsevier’s Pure Portal
With the integration of the ScienceDirect API services in the new Pure Portal, we have made it easier for institutions using Elsevier’s Pure Portal to access the best available versions of articles by your institution’s authors, as well as to see embargo end dates and licenses for author manuscripts accepted for publication in Elsevier journals.
Pure aggregates your organization's research information from numerous internal and external sources, and ensures the data that drives your strategic decisions is trusted, comprehensive and accessible in real time.
Renewed public access pilot service: Embedded author accepted manuscripts
We invite you, as a ScienceDirect customer, to join our renewed public access pilot service which will embed author accepted manuscripts into your institutional repository. This pilot is an extension of our existing ScienceDirect API Services Program.
Our APIs will link your IR users who are not affiliated with an institution subscribed to ScienceDirect, to an embedded author accepted manuscript. The service will be rendered after the relevant article’s embargo period has ended. The user can use a download button to download a copy of the article.
- Qatar University Library Strengthens Functionality of its Institutional Repository through Elsevier’s ScienceDirect APIs
- See live ScienceDirect API functionality integrated within IR@UF
- Article about the pilot project with University of Florida
- Press release about the pilot project with University of Florida
- Webinar recording about the pilot project with University of Florida
- Librarian’s Process for Building an Institutional Repository