About ScienceDirect APIs
Use ScienceDirect APIs to retrieve andintegrate full-text content from publications on ScienceDirect into your ownwebsite or applications.
Who can use ScienceDirect APIs?
Anyone can obtain an APIkey and use our APIs free of charge, provided that our policies are honored.
ScienceDirect subscribers are granted full access to ScienceDirect APIs. If you do not have a ScienceDirect subscription, you can still use our APIs; however, you will have limited access to basic metadata and basic search functionality, yet full access to all open access content.
Learn more about the key settings data available to you and start developing today.
Featured ScienceDirect API
Text mine full-text publications for your website or application using the ScienceDirect Search and Article Retrieval APIs. Register your text mining project here to get your APIkey and start developing today.
Watch our videos on YouTube:
What APIs are available for ScienceDirect?
For a quick summary of the available ScienceDirect APIs and what they offer, refer to the information below. For more detailed information, go to the ScienceDirect overview on the Elsevier Developer Portal.
- Article Entitlement Retrieval: Returns ScienceDirect article entitlement given unique article identifier in context of the user’s authentication.
- Article Recommendation Retrieval: Returns recommended articles based on unique article identifiers.
- Article Retrieval: Returns an article (or abstract of full-text, depending on the developer’s entitlements) given a document identifier. Article Retrieval API response includes links to various resources or objects associated with an article.
- Authentication: Represents an IP authentication request that creates a secured authtoken (see more about Authentication & Access).
- Enhancement Fragment Retrieval: Enables search or retrieval of the enhancement fragments associated with a full-text article.
- Holdings Report: Returns a usage report generated based on your library’s ScienceDirect holdings. Data is available in the Knowledge Base and Related Tools (KBART) format (see more about Holdings & Usage Reports.
- Nonserial Title: Returns metadata about non-serial title given ISBN document identifier.
- Object Retrieval: Returns objects associated with a full-text article.
- Object Search: Allows a search of objects and attachments associated with a full-text article.
- ScienceDirect Search: Allows a search of ScienceDirect content based on criteria you specify.
- Serial Title: Returns metadata about serial title given ISSN document.
- Subject Classifications: Identifies subject classifications associated with ScienceDirect content.
What are the featuresof ScienceDirect APIs?
- Direct access to real-time ScienceDirect data
- RESTful architecture: stateless, scalable, portable and reliable platform
- Standards and specifications support: W3C CORS, Dublin Core, Idealliance PRISM
- Straightforward integration with applications you wish to develop and with content you want to integrate onto your web sites (e.g., institutional repository, library website)
- Variety of API response formats supported
- API responses include links to relevant resources to simplify navigation and access
- Interactive API documentation allows you to preview an API request and response in any of the supported response formats