Past knowledge empowers today's research
High-quality scholarly research published before 1995 is essential for the science of the future. ScienceDirect users say access to back issues helps them validate findings, prevent unnecessarily replicating research, and fuel new research ideas.
By adding Backfiles to your institution’s ScienceDirect subscription, you can make groundbreaking research discoverable through the efficient, time-saving ScienceDirect database.
87% of surveyed ScienceDirect users say that without access to pre-1995 scientific research they would miss out on a reference they need for their work. Backfiles contain the content they need.*
What our customers say
Discovering knowledge that is as valuable today as when it was written by Prof. Iain Clarke (Australia)
Download the case study (PDF, 948.2 KB)
If you do a citation analysis of my published papers, you’ll find a good 28 percent made references to articles published prior to 1995.
Developing a comprehensive body of knowledge for researchers by Dr. Bikramjit Basu (India)
Download the case study (PDF, 1021.6 KB)
If we only look at literature from the past five years, it is possible that we may repeat something that other people have done ten years before.
Preparing graduate students for careers in research by Dr. Nyoman Pujawan (Indonesia)
Download the case study (PDF, 1001.7 KB)
Researchers should do more comprehensive reading about related and cross disciplinary subjects because earlier articles are valuable and catalysts for new areas of research.
Supporting multidisciplinary research by
Dr. Bor-Ming Jahn (Taiwan)
Download the case study (PDF, 1.4 MB)
Why ScienceDirect Backfiles
Benefits for Researchers
- A solid foundation for scholarly research through article access to historical precedents and groundbreaking research, including Nobel Prize winning research
- Premium content providing inspiration for new studies
- A head start on knowledge about their own field and for interdisciplinary research
- The complete picture, so they know they’re on the right track
Benefits for the Library
- A complete article collection, with packages available per subject area to best support your users
- Financial savings: a one-time purchase; less expensive than scanning individually or document delivery; no storage or administration costs for a paper article archive
- Fully searchable: HTML header, abstracts and references, and full-text research articles are searchable via raw ASCII files in the background
- Citations, abstracts and references are fully linked and CrossRef-enabled
Contact us to find out more and enable access to Backfiles
More details about ScienceDirect Backfiles
All institutions and organizations with a ScienceDirect subscription
How to add perpetual access to Backfiles
Perpetual access to Backfiles only takes a one-time adjustment to your existing ScienceDirect subscription:
Types of Content and Content Options
Several types of content and subject areas are available:
*June 2019 ScienceDirect TechValidate Survey results