With high-quality books and reference content and journals, the ScienceDirect platform uniquely supports an uninterrupted workflow so researchers move seamlessly between books and journals, and across topics and disciplines. It helps researchers in academia, government and corporate organizations make smarter and faster decisions.
Usage and analysis has shown that books enhance the value of journals and users get a bigger return on investment when they have access to both. Learn more about the platform.
- Physical Sciences & Engineering publications cover a range of disciplines, from the theoretical to the applied.
- Life Sciences journal articles and book chapters feature original research, insightful analysis, current theory and more.
- Social Sciences & Humanities journals and books highlight historical context, current developments, theories, applications, trends and more.
- Health Sciences collections — covering education, reference information and decision support — keep you up-to-date on medical developments to stimulate research and improve patient care.
Complete your library's collections with the latest book titles, active and newly published journals, and more.Find out more
As one of the fastest-growing open access publishers in the world, nearly all of Elsevier’s 2,650 journals now enable open access publishing, including 500 fully open access journals.
Discover all open access publications.
Get the facts
- Key figures
- Journals & books, including open access content
- ScienceDirect Topics and other time-saving features
- Contact details for our Elsevier offices
ScienceDirect provides me [with] detailed information about my topic in a very short span of time. All the content is authentic, so I need not waste time looking for the verification of it, increasing yield tremendously.
— Neurosurgeon, from a hospital in India
Access ScienceDirect anytime and from anywhere, without being limited to an IP range. Be sure to register and then sign in to activate your remote access.
Read how to get remote access on the ScienceDirect Support Center.
Search & alerts
ScienceDirect’s sophisticated, intuitive search and retrieval tools make it easy to discover more relevant journal articles and book chapters.
Simply use the search bar on the home screen for quick search results.
Use our Advanced search feature to help narrow the list of results. As you type, ScienceDirect lets you know if your search will produce no results.
ScienceDirect Topics provides introductory overviews to help you understand and interpret scientific literature;
Make reading easier with our enhanced PDF article viewing. It shows outlines, citations, recommendations, in-article references and author links for a richer reading experience. Improve your ability to:
- Evaluate content relevancy
- Understand the experimental methods and data contained within the article
- Uncover related discovery opportunities
- Support your own writing process with improved annotation and note-taking capabilities
Sign in, click on your Profile in the upper right corner and then click “My history”.
Never lose track of an article again. Simply register and then sign in to your ScienceDirect account to keep track of your reading history. This feature ensures you can always find useful articles when needed by following your activity. It keeps track of the 100 most recent articles or book chapters you have viewed, sorted by date and time. You can save and delete items or download the full list of entries.
Need to know what else to read but short on time to spend searching? ScienceDirect combines your reading history with articles your peers have read and Scopus citation data to recommend other relevant information to you. Quickly review these recommendations and decide what more to read, making both efficient and effective use of your time.
As a registered and signed in user, ScienceDirect is responsive to your recent signed-in activity. Recommendations appear in a “My recommendations” section in your Profile, plus, you can have article recommendations emailed to you on a weekly basis.
Saved me time searching, exposed me to new research in my area of interest, and [I] was able to find an answer to a problem about specific dosage and protocol. Very helpful!
— PostDoc, Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Israel)
Get technical support anytime
ScienceDirect users can visit our Support Center for resources about using any of the platform’s features mentioned on this page, get help troubleshooting an issue, ways to contact our Support Team directly and more.