Clinical eLearning suite of ENA courses customer story: Providence Health and Services
Providence Health and Services is a not-for-profit Catholic health care ministry committed to providing for the needs of the communities it serves – especially for those who are poor and vulnerable. The system’s combined scope of services includes hospitals, physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and many other health and educational services across Alaska, California, Montana, Oregon, and Washington, with its system office headquartered in Renton, Washington.
Elsevier ENA courses have helped us better educate and prepare newly graduated nurses and those transitioning from other patient care areas for the unique demands of emergency nursing. With these courses available, all emergency nurses have the opportunity to refresh their knowledge and skills. – Missy Blackstock, Providence Health and Services Emergency Department Director
With the Elsevier Clinical eLearning suite of Emergency Nursing Association (ENA) courses, emergency nurses at Providence Health and Services:
- Learn about common conditions and situations as well as those they might rarely see so they are better prepared to manage any patient they encounter in real-life emergency care situations.
- Leverage evidence-based and peer-reviewed content, ensuring they have ready access to authoritative information and the latest standards of practice and guidelines.
- Are prepared to respond quickly and precisely, intervene appropriately, and make accurate decisions.
- Receive standardized education that ensures consistent, high quality care throughout the organization in an effort to promote optimal patient outcomes.
Having educated thousands of nurses over the last several years, Providence Health and Services now has a higher retention rate among its emergency nurses after implementing the ENA suite of courses.
Providence Health and Services needed educational tools to orient new emergency nurses with targeted education that covered a wide range of topics, from triage to psychiatric emergencies, and more. They needed a solution that would:
- Transition from paper-based to electronic-based education so that nurses could learn remotely.
- Include the latest, most comprehensive information and be continually updated.
- Help attract new emergency nurses, and better retain their existing nurses.
- Offer the flexibility to educate newly-graduated nurses as well as nurses with experience who transition to emergency nursing.
- Ensure that nurses receive the education to prepare them to take certification exams.
The Clinical eLearning suite of ENA courses used by Providence Health and Services includes: Emergency Nursing Orientation 2.0; Emergency Nursing Triage; Emergency Nursing Certification Review; Pediatric Emergency Nursing Certification Review; and Handling Psychiatric Emergencies. This suite has been deployed to:
- Educate newly-graduated nurses and ensure they have the foundation to care for patients in the real-life emergency setting.
- Educate nurses making the transition from other acute care areas to emergency nursing.
- Allow nurses to complete assigned lessons at home and then have clinical educators review and enrich the material in person, for a more comprehensive, immersive blended-learning experience.
- Enable clinical educators to track what lessons each emergency nurse has completed, see how well they are doing in each course, and how many times they have had to retake a particular posttest.
Since deploying the Clinical eLearning suite of ENA courses, Providence Health and Services has:
- Enhanced the quality of care patients receive at their facilities because emergency nurses now have a comprehensive orientation and ongoing education program.
- Reduced the time needed to help educate nurses so that they are able to make the right decisions in emergency situations.
- Expanded the use of the courses in their system to six facilities in a move to help standardize care.
- Helped nurses more easily earn their continuing education credits for relicensure needs and professional growth.
- Deepen the knowledge base and increase the confidence of emergency nurses with orientation and professional development education that is authoritative, current, and as focused as they are.
Elsevier Clinical Nursing strives to help organizations support all stages of their nurse’s journey with immersive, personalized education that empowers nurses to deliver the highest level of care. As a result, your organization can improve onboarding satisfaction and nurse retention rates, while also reducing the financial and patient care impact of turnover.