Infographic: The power of effectively coordinated care
By Elsevier Clinical Nursing
- Healthcare costs are 75% higher for patient receiving uncoordinated care.
- Patients experiencing highly fragmented care have 2x as many primary care visits and 6x as many specialist visits.
- Educating and engaging patients in their self-care management activities with effective interprofessional care coordination can reduce annual Medicare costs by 16%.
Elsevier Clinical Nursing supports your organization in its efforts to deliver patient-centered, coordinated care through our digital tools, authoritative content and professional services. This helps your care team make well-informed decisions, reduce errors, promote better patient outcomes and ensure a unified standard of care throughout the entire patient journey.
- Haney, Cynthia; McMenamin, Peter. “The Value of Nursing Care Coordination”. American Nurses Association. Nursing World. 1 Jun 2012. https://www.nursingworld. org/~4afc0d/globalassets/practiceandpolicy/health-policy/care-coordination-white-paper-3.pdf.
- Frandsen, Brigham R.; Joynt, Karen E.; Rebitzer, James B.; Jha, Ashish K. “Care Fragmentation, Quality, and Costs Among Chronically Ill Patients”. The American Journal of Managed Care. Managed Markets Network. 14 May 2015. https://www.ajmc.com/journals/issue/2015/2015-vol21-n5/care-fragmentation-quality-costsamong-chronically-ill-patients?p=2.
- Gausvik, Christian; Lautar, Ashley; Miller, Lisa; Pallerla, Harini; Schlaudeker, Jeffrey. “Structured Nursing Communication on Interdisciplinary Acute Care Teams Improves Perceptions of Safety, Efficiency, Understanding of Care Plan and Teamwork as Well as Job Satisfaction”. National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine. 14 Jan 2015. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4298312/.
- Winfield, Chaniece; Sparkman-Key, Narketta; Vajda, Anthony. “Interprofessional Collaboration Among Helping Professions: Experiences with Holistic Client Care”. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice. ScienceDirect. Dec 2017. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405452617300514.
- Figueroa, Jose F.; Feyman, Yevgeniy; Zhou, Xiner; Maddox, Karen. “Hospital-Level Care Coordination Strategies Associated with Better Patient Experience”. BMJ Quality & Safety. The British Medical Journal. 4 Apr 2018. https://qualitysafety.bmj.com/content/27/10/844.
- Hardin, Lauran; Kilian, Adam; Spykerman, Kristin. “Competing Health Care Systems and Complex Patients: An Inter-Professional Collaboration to Improve Outcomes and Reduce Health Care Costs”. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice. ScienceDirect. Jun 2017. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/ S2405452616301033