Open access information for journal authors
Open access is an increasingly popular way to publish academic and scientific research. As of 2019, 8.5 million articles have been published open access in peer-reviewed journals, according to data from Scopus and ImpactStory.
Finding the right open access home for your research at Elsevier is easy:
- Over 1,900 of our journals offer the option to publish gold open access.
- Our selection of more than 350 gold open access journals grows every month.
Open access is at the core of Elsevier’s publishing mission
Over 85 percent of the journals we launch are open access. In 2018 we published 26 percent more open access articles than the previous year, and that number has increased significantly in 2019. Today Elsevier is one of the world’s fastest-growing open access publishers.
When you publish open access with us you benefit from the world-class expertise of our editors and reviewers, state-of-the-art innovations that measure your impact and make your work more visible (and your life easier), and exposure on the world’s biggest publishing platform, ScienceDirect. Your work is also included in relevant indexes and databases, and we ensure that it always remains discoverable and accessible, no matter how much time passes.
Here are some of the benefits you'll enjoy when publishing open access with Elsevier:
Reach the audience your research deserves
- Publishing gold open access with Elsevier means that millions of researchers globally will be able to find and read your work, completely free.
- Not only will your article have exposure on the world’s biggest publishing platform, ScienceDirect—which has 16 million monthly unique visitors—but it will also be indexed and shared as widely as possible.
- Our gold OA journals feature in databases like Scopus, DOAJ, Web of Science and PubMed Central.
140 years’ experience curating and verifying scientific knowledge
- Benefit from our long experience serving the academic community and become part of a growing group of researchers who are sharing their work using our open access options.
- There are Elsevier journals in every tier of impact, and you receive a high-quality publication and expert support, whichever journal you choose to publish in.
Rigorous standards & quality journals across the board
- While offering competitive article publishing charges (APCs), our expert editors and reviewers ensure that all our open access publications maintain the highest standards of quality through a rigorous peer review process.
- With the assurance that you are publishing the best work possible, choosing Elsevier gives you a better share of the impact. In 2018, Elsevier’s articles accounted for 18 percent of global research output and attracted a much higher share of citations, at 25 percent.
Access to state-of-the-art innovations that measure your impact and make your life easier
- Using the latest innovations in impact and visibility tracking enables you to gather key insights on your article’s impact.
- With Elsevier’s PlumX metrics, you can track who’s talking about your article in the news or on social media, as well as who is citing and downloading your work.
- Our patented Fingerprint Engine mines the text of scientific documents to make them more discoverable, and personalized options also include a fast-track to publishing through Elsevier’s state-of-the-art communications system.
Select the publishing model that’s right for you
- If your funder or institution requires you to publish gold open access, you’ll find what you need with Elsevier.
- With almost 50 agreements with funding bodies and countries worldwide—including the Wellcome Trust, European Research Council, and the National Institutes of Health—we have the options you need to comply, and the support to make it easy.
- If you want to publish open access but cannot afford to pay the APC, you can request a waiver. We consider these on case-by-case basis, giving priority to requests from countries eligible for the Research4Life program
Whatever your discipline, there’s an open access home for your research. With over 2,300 journals that offer gold open access publishing options, we’ve got you covered.
Get started by searching for the best journal for your research.
Gold open access
Over 90% of our journals offer the option to publish open access, making your article permanently available and free to read. In the gold open access model, you pay an article publishing charge (APC), making your article immediately, permanently, and freely available for anyone to access, read, and build upon. In many cases, your institution or research funder will pay the APC on your behalf.
Green open access
If you choose to publish a subscription article, we can still help you meet your open access funding requirements. All of our subscription journals offer a green open access option, meaning you can post a version of your article in a repository after an embargo, so people can access it freely. See our sharing policy for more information.
Journal & article data representative up to November 2019
Latest Open Science stories
A researcher talks about time management and extending his reach with open access