Elsevier has a long-standing agreement with the Wellcome Trust which ensures authors publishing in Elsevier journals are compliant with its open access policy.
Open access policy
The Wellcome Trust Policy requires authors to make research papers that have been accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal, and are supported in whole or in part by Wellcome Trust funding, to be made available through PubMed Central (PMC) and Europe PubMed Central (Europe PMC) as soon as possible and in any event within six months of the journal publisher's official date of final publication. Elsevier provides gold open access publishing options which enable authors to be fully compliant with Wellcome Trust policy.
Gold open access
- Authors can choose to publish under an open access "hybrid" option in over 1600 established journals as well as in a number of open access journals.
- A publication fee is required to be paid in order to make an article open access. The Wellcome Trust will meet these costs for its funded authors. See the Wellcome Trust Authors' Guide for further details. Elsevier's open access publication fees range between c$150 and c$5000 US Dollars and are journal specific; please refer to the guide for authors on the journal homepage.
- When publishing under either one of these open access options, the corresponding author will be given a choice of Creative Commons licenses. Wellcome Trust policy states that authors are required to select a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license. Read the Wellcome Trust "CC-BY FAQ" for further information.
- Elsevier will deposit the final published journal article in PubMed Central (PMC), and to PMC mirror sites such as Europe PMC, on behalf of the author. The version that appears in PMC will have a CrossMark® identifier and link back to the authoritative version of record on ScienceDirect.
- Please note: when publishing with Elsevier the only way a researcher can comply with the Wellcome Trust's OA policy is to select the gold open access ("author pays") option. The Lancet in addition to proving a hybrid OA option, also allow authors to self-archive that manuscript in PMC/Europe PMC, 6 months following publication
Green open access
- When publishing with Elsevier the only way a researcher can comply with the Wellcome Trust's OA policy is to select the gold open access ("author pays") option. The exception is for authors publishing in The Lancet, which allows authors to self archive after 6 months. Click here to see Wellcome Trust applicable embargo periods
- Please note: From the 25th March 2013, if you are a Wellcome Trust-funded author and if any of your Elsevier published articles are not available in Europe PMC then you may use Elsevier's self-archiving policy (which would not normally be applicable to authors funded by Wellcome Trust) to deposit papers in this repository. Deposits made via this route must adhere to the journal-specific embargo. Such articles can be posted under a CC-BY-NC-ND license.