The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Open Access policy applies to all funded agreements issued from 1 January 2015 onwards. Articles must be published gold open access to comply with the policy. This requirement applies to research supported in whole, or in part, by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Gold open access
- Elsevier provides open access (OA) publishing options which enable authors to be fully compliant with the Foundation’s policy. Specifically, authors can choose to publish their article in an open access journal or in one of over 1700 established journals with an open access option. This includes journals published by The Lancet.
- Elsevier will provide the corresponding author with a choice of two Creative Commons licenses. The Gates Foundation policy states that its grant recipients are required to publish under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license. All articles will include a licence statement in the XML of the article and will be provided in human and machine-readable formats.
- The Version of Record of the article will be freely available on the journal’s site immediately upon publication.
- Elsevier will provide final published journal articles to PubMed Central (PMC) on behalf of authors. The version that appears in PMC will have a CrossMark® identifier and link back to the authoritative version of record on ScienceDirect. Elsevier will enable PMC to access any significant updates to the published article, i.e. a notice of correction, a retraction, or an expression of concern, so PMC can ensure the updates are made available in PMC.
- A publication fee must be paid to publish an article gold open access. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will pay Elsevier directly from a central fund on behalf of its grantees. Grantees should not pay these fees out of their budget or seek reimbursement from the foundation. Rather, grantees are asked to use Chronos, a new service developed by the foundation, which manages payment of these fees from a central budget directly to Elsevier. See the Gates Foundation website for more details.
- Elsevier's open access publication fees range from $500 - $5,000 USD and are journal specific. Specific pricing information can be found on the journal homepage.
Green open access
- Green open access is no longer available for grant agreements signed after January 1, 2015. For grant agreements signed prior to January 2015, our researchers have the option to publish under the subscription business model and then share a version of their article in the ways outlined at all the ways this can be done here.
Help and Support
- For compliance queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information read the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Open Access policy