Who uses ICSR Lab
A sandbox for testing big ideas on big data
ICSR Lab is the perfect tool for working with large volumes of research metadata and metrics, testing your hypotheses with comprehensive and structured datasets, or performing analysis where you are always in control.
This ‘open environment’, available at no cost to users, has enormous potential to help researchers, especially those from lower income countries.
— Jacqueline Leta, ICSR Advisory Board member and Associate Professor, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
Bibliometricians, scientometricians, informetricians or other researchers with great ideas are welcome to apply for access. Users will be able to experiment with large volumes of structured research metadata with little practical, administrative or legal overhead.
If you have an academic affiliation and a bright idea, we invite you to apply even if you're not yet a research evaluation expert — everyone is welcome to apply for access to ICSR Lab.
What will you analyze?
Do you know the gender ratio of authors who publish in a field? Does your idea for a new research impact metric correlate with other research indicators?
What would you investigate if you could augment your research data and analyses with the full power of Elsevier data sources? With the currently available datasets you might:
- Examine co-authorship and collaboration trends by area of research.
- Research the innovation/knowledge transfer pipeline through an analysis of cross-sector collaboration.
- Inspect the gender profile of research topics being studied.
- Investigate the informational impact of research outputs through PlumX Metrics including Amazon and Goodreads reviews and Wikipedia references.
- Explore commercial impact and knowledge transfer through patent citations, academic-industry partnerships or business consultancy activities.
- Analyze societal impact and engagement through clinical citations, news mentions and social media metrics.
We encourage you to apply with any relevant research question — as part of the application review process our team will advise whether the data necessary to answer your question are available.