Every year in China, leading academic scholars review a list of 100 medical research achievements from the previous year using a formal selection criteria developed with Health News using Elsevier's Scopus database. From that list, the reviewers select 20 recent scientific research international achievements, 10 of which are from China.
This year, reviewers from fields including preclinical medicine, clinical medicine, public health and pharmacology participated in this process, selecting research on COVID-19, cancer, diabetes and other fields.
The Chinese breakthroughs comprise the list of 2022 Top 10 China/international medical science and technology news.
The announcement of the top 10 was made Wednesday in Beijing in an event organized by China NHC media Health News, China's official news media for health. This event received technical support from Elsevier and Peking Union Medical College, a top medical college in China.
At the Health News event, Elsevier Chairman Youngsuk “YS” Chi gave a speech about how big data and digital health technologies are revolutionizing healthcare.
Top 10 Chinese breakthroughs of 2022
The 20 selected achievements of medical science and technology have both scientific research value and social influence. Ten of them are from China, such as the aerosolized adenovirus type-5 vector-based COVID-19 vaccine (Ad5-nCoV) and a breakthrough in gene therapy for hemophilia B.
The top 10 list views the development of international medical science and technology from a Chinese perspective. They are:
- Prion protein monoclonal antibody (Prn100) therapy for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: evaluation of a first-in-Human treatment programme
- Genomic characterization of metastatic patterns from prospective clinical sequencing of 25,000 patients
- SARS-CoV-2 is associated with changes in brain structure in UK Biobank
- Global burden of bacterial antimicrobial resistance in 2019: a systematic analysis
- The global burden of cancer attributable to risk factors, 2010–19: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019
- AI predicts shape of nearly every known protein
- FDA approves first drug that can delay onset of type 1 diabetes
- Anti-CD19 CAR T cell therapy for refractory systemic lupus erythematosus
- Daily steps and all-cause mortality: a meta-analysis of 15 international cohorts
- Complete genomic and epigenetic maps of human centromeres
Yang Qiulan, deputy Editor-in-Chief of Health News, said that this event aims to help healthcare professionals pay more attention to achievements of medical science and technology, creating an atmosphere of understanding, respecting and advocating science in the broader society.
This event has been held for 7 consecutive years, attracting wide attention from Chinese medical and scientific professionals every year.
Health News, founded in 1931, is the most influential Chinese media in the field of medicine and health.
Behind the rising influence of Chinese research