- Gives authoritative coverage from an expert team that includes the editor of the SQL-92 and SQL:1999 standards.
- Provides a general introduction to SQL that helps you understand its constituent parts, history, and place in the realm of computer languages.
- Explains SQL:1999's more sophisticated features, including advanced value expressions, predicates, advanced SQL query expressions, and support for active databases.
- Explores key issues for programmers linking applications to SQL databases.
- Provides guidance on troubleshooting, internationalization, and changes anticipated in the next version of SQL.
- Contains appendices devoted to database design, a complete SQL:1999 example, the standardization process, and more.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 - Database and Technology Foundations
Chapter 2 - Introduction to SQL:1999
Chapter 3 - Basic Table Creation and Data Manipulation
Chapter 4 - Basic Data Definition Language
Chapter 5 - Values, Basic Functions and Expressions
Chapter 6 - Advanced Value Expressions
Chapter 7 - Predicates
Chapter 8 - Working with Multiple Tables
Chapter 9 - Advanced SQL Query Expressions
Chapter 10 - Constraints, Assertions, and Referential Integrity
Chapter 11 - Active Databases
Chapter 12 - Accessing SQL From the Real World
Chapter 13 - Cursors
Chapter 14 - Privileges, Users, and Security
Chapter 15 - Transaction Management
Chapter 16 - Connections and Remote Database Access
Chapter 17 - Routines and Routine Invocations
Chapter 18 - Dynamic SQL: 1999
Chapter 19 - Call-Level Interface
Chapter 20 - Diagnostics and Error Management
Chapter 21 - Internationalization Aspects of SQL: 1999
Chapter 22 - Information Schema
Chapter 23 - A Look to the Future
Appendix A - Designing SQL:1999 Databases
Appendix B - An SQL:1999 Application Example
Appendix C - The SQL:1999 Annexes
Appendix D - Relevant Standards Bodies
Appendix E - Status Codes
Appendix F - The SQL Standardization Process
- No. of pages: 893
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Morgan Kaufmann 2001
- Published: May 18, 2001
- Imprint: Morgan Kaufmann
- Paperback ISBN: 9781558604568
- eBook ISBN: 9780080517605
About the Authors
Affiliations and Expertise
Alan Simon is a leading authority on data warehousing and database technology. He is the author of 26 books, including the previous edition of this book and the forthcoming Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence for e-Commerce, available from Morgan Kaufmann Publishers in early 2001. He currently provides data warehousing-related consulting services to clients.
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "SQL: 1999"