Cannabis Controversies and Challenges
- Reviews the endocannabinoid system and why our bodies are full of "weed receptors"
- Introduces readers to the various forms of marijuana: flower, dabs, hash, edibles, shatter, vapes, tinctures, oils and synthetics, THC, CBD and terpenes.
- Demonstrates how and why cannabis affects different people very differently. Discusses how MRI and PET scans can help show the effects of marijuana on the brain.
- Discusses long-term effects of adolescent and adult cannabis use.
- Examines the evidence for cannabis’s role in increasing the risk for schizophrenia-like illnesses.
Popular science readers, everybody who lived through the 60s, stoners, parents, young adults, physicians and healthcare professionals, college counselors, social workers, educators, legislators, scientists of all types and public policy professionals
Table of Contents
1. Introduction - how the author became acquainted with cannabis
2. Good Science and Bad Science - how science helps us think about contentious social issues
3. Holi - what an ancient Hindu festival can teach us about safe marijuana use
4. Archaeology and Ethnobotany - the long historical relationship humans have with cannabis
5. Neuroscience - the endocannabinoid system, how it evolved and what it does
6. Psychology + Human Behavior - what is it like to be stoned and what goes on in our brains when we are?
7. Epidemiology - what can population studies tell us about cannabis risks?
8. Toxicology - cannabis’ side effects and how they occur. Synthetic cannabinoids
9. Chemical Analysis and Extraction - the eternal quest for a higher high
10. Medical Marijuana and Clinical Trials - what’s the evidence for marijuana as a medicine?
11. Economic/Business -who stands to gain and to lose, if cannabis is legalized in the US?
12. Summary/Conclusion - harm reduction; lessons from ending alcohol prohibition and from what’s going on in Canada
- No. of pages: 326
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Academic Press 2020
- Published: July 1, 2020
- Imprint: Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: 9780128181751
- Paperback ISBN: 9780128181744
About the Author
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Weed Science"