- Provides high-yield core information essential to surgical rotations in a portable, pocket-sized format.
- Uses a color-coded system that places the core surgical information in a framework of the ACGME Core Competencies.
- Offers self-assessment activities throughout to promote retention and application of knowledge, including access on line to your own competency-based portfolio tools and competency-specific learning modules (Vertical Reads).
- Features ACGME Core Competencies enabling you to integrate evidence based medicine, continual self-assessment, and cognizance of interpersonal skills into your daily routine.
- Includes features such as “Speaking Intelligently” and “Clinical Thinking” in each chapter to help you see the “big picture.”
- Organizes the most common and must-know surgical signs/symptoms and disorders by presentation, making reference simple.
- Presents “Teaching Visuals”—an interactive teaching device designed to reinforce visual concepts.
- Equips you to perform a more in-depth review of surgical topics with “Clinical Entities” that are referenced to top surgical references.
- Includes access to Student Consult at www.studentconsult.com, where you'll find the complete text and illustrations of the book online, fully searchable "Integration Links" to bonus content in other Student Consult titles M&M form Self-Assessment Competency Log Professors Pearls that provide cases with questions and annotated answers Vertical Reads and much more!
1 How to Study This Book
Barry D. Mann MD
2 Medical Knowledge: The Foundation of Patient Care
Sandra Fine MBA and Thomas G. McCarter MD
3 Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
Mary Ann Hopkins MPhil, MD
Susan Kaiser MD, PhD and Leo A. Gordon MD
4 Interpersonal and Communication Skills
Jane Ruddell Esq, Stephanie R. Landmesser RN, CNOR, MSN, Daria Arcaro BA, Nicholas P. Lang MD, and Pamela A. Rowland PhD
5 Professionalism in Surgery
Joel C. Rosenfeld MD, MEd and Linda L. Blank
6 Systems-Based Practice
Stephen E. Gordon MBA, John R. Clarke MD, Stephen K. Klasko MD, MBA, Linnea S. Hauge PhD, and Barry D. Mann MD
7 How to Succeed on the Surgical Clerkship: Thoughts on Expectations, Feedback, and Stress
Kimberly D. Schenarts PhD and Paul J. Schenarts MD
8 The Resident as Teacher: Facilitating Student Success: Thoughts on Expectations, Feedback, and Stress
Paul J. Schenarts MD and Kimberly D. Schenarts PhD
9 The Art of Oral Presentation
Paul J. Schenarts MD and Mary Ann Hopkins MPhil, MD
Appendix 1: ACGME General Competencies
Appendix 2: Competency Assessment Forms
10 Radiology Tools for Abdominal Diagnosis
Anton Mahne MD, Andrew J. Curtin MD, and Harry G. Zegel MD
11 Right Lower Quadrant Pain in a 28-Year-Old Female (Case 1)
Barry D. Mann MD and Michael Belden MD
12 Right Upper Quadrant Pain in a 44-Year-Old Female (Case 2)
Joseph F. Golob MD and Christopher P. Brandt MD
13 Epigastric Pain in a 47-Year-Old Male (Case 3)
R. Matthew Walsh MD
14 Left Lower Quadrant Pain in a 67-Year-Old Male (Case 4)
Rebecca S. Evangelista MD