Integrated Disaster Science and Management: Global Case Studies in Mitigation and Recovery bridges the gap between scientific research on natural disasters and the practice of disaster management. It examines natural hazards, including earthquakes, landslides and tsunamis, and uses integrated disaster management techniques, quantitative methods and big data analytics to create early warning models to mitigate impacts of these hazards and reduce the risk of disaster. It also looks at mitigation as part of the recovery process after a disaster, as in the case of the Nepal earthquake.
Edited by global experts in disaster management and engineering, the book offers case studies that focus on the critical phases of disaster management.
- Identifies advanced techniques and models based on natural disaster science for forecasting disasters and analyzing risk
- Offers a holistic approach to the problem of disaster management, including preparation, recovery, and resilience
- Includes coverage of social, economic, and environmental impacts on disasters
Graduate students, postgraduate students, researchers, and practitioners in disaster/emergency management Secondary audience: Researchers in disaster science
Assessment and Mitigation
1. A semi-quantitative-based damage index as a tool for mitigating the earthquake risk
2. Seismic hazard assessment: An Integrated approach
3. Earthquake hazard assessment through geological studies
4. Assessment of soil liquefaction based on capacity energy concept and artificial neural networks
5. An overview of tsunami hazard assessment techniques
6. Techniques for mitigation and management of forest fire disaster
Recovery and Management
7. Recovery and rehabilitation of Nepal earthquake
8. Urban Flood Management in Coastal Regions Using Numerical Simulation
9. Rock slope stability and their controls
10. Earthquake induced landslide
11. Management of cyclone disaster
12. Theory and practice of drought disaster management
13. Disaster management due to debris flow
Analysis and Resilience
14. Big Data Analytics and Social Media in Disaster Management
15. Role of data analysis for disaster mitigation and management
16. Assessing risk and reducing disaster due to Volcano
17. Application of GIS and Remote Sensing for disaster management
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2018
- 1st April 2018
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Pijush Samui obtained his B.E. at Bengal Engineering at Science University; M.Sc. at Indian Institute of Science; Ph.D. at Indian Institute of Science. He worked as a postdoctoral fellow at University of Pittsburgh (USA) and Tampere University of Technology (Finland). At University of Pittsburgh, he worked on numerical modeling of rock cutting and application of Support Vector Machine (SVM) in Geotechnical Engineering. He is the recipient of CIMO fellowship from Finland. Dr. Samui worked as a guest editor in "Disaster Advances" journal. He also serves as an editorial board member in several international journals. Dr. Samui is editor of International Journal of Geomatics and Geosciences. He is the reviewer of several journal papers. Dr. Samui is a Fellow of the International Congress of Disaster Management and Earth Science India. Dr. Samui is the member of several national and international professional societies like Indian Geotechnical Society, Institution of Engineers, Indian Science Congress, World Federation of Soft Computing, and Geotechnical Engineering for Disaster Mitigation and Rehabilitation (JWG-DMR).
Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, NIT Patna, Bihar, India
Dr. Dookie Kim is Professor, Department of Civil Engineering; Director, Structural System Laboratory; and Director, BK21+ Glocal Geo-Environmental Engineering Research Team, Kunsan National University, South Korea. Professor Kim has broad experience in earthquake engineering and structural dynamics.
Professor, Department of Civil Engineering; Director, Structural System Laboratory; and Director, BK21+ Glocal Geo-Environmental Engineering Research Team, Kunsan National University, South Korea
Dr. Chandan Ghosh is Professor & Head, Geohazards and Risk Management Division, National Institute of Disaster Management, Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India. His areas of expertise are disaster resistant housing technologies, retrofitting and earthquake risk mitigation and management.
Professor & Head, Geohazards and Risk Management Division, National Institute of Disaster Management, Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India