- Comprehensive coverage includes all the content needed for an introduction to the developmental, histological, and anatomical foundations of oral health.
- Hundreds of full-color anatomical illustrations and clinical and microscopic photographs accompany text descriptions of anatomy and biology.
- An approachable writing style covers the latest evidence-based information and makes it easy to grasp and learn to apply the material.
- A logical organization separates the book into four units for easier understanding: (1) an introduction to dental structures, (2) dental embryology, (3) dental histology, and (4) dental anatomy.
- Key terms open each chapter, accompanied by phonetic pronunciations, and are highlighted within the text, and a glossary provides a quick and handy review and research tool.
- Clinical Considerations boxes relate abstract-seeming biological concepts to everyday clinical practice.
- Learning outcomes at the beginning of each chapter clearly identify the information you are expected to absorb.
- Summary tables and boxes provide quick, easy-to-read summaries of concepts and procedures and serve as useful review and study tools.
- Student resources on the Evolve companion website enhance learning with practice quizzes, samplecase studies, review questions, and interactive exercises.
- A student workbook offers a wealth of interactive exercises, including labeling/structure identification to master anatomy, word-search and crossword puzzles for vocabulary practice, detailed guidelines for tooth drawing, and illustrated case studies with follow-up questions; in the back of the book, 32 removable flashcards provide practice on identifying permanent teeth and their features and characteristics. Sold separately.
- A bibliography lists resource citations for further research and study.
- Expert author Margaret Fehrenbach is one of the most trusted names in dental hygiene education, and writes extensively, lectures widely, and consults for many of the major dental manufacturers and supply companies.
Table of Contents
Unit I: Orofacial Structures
1. Face and Neck Regions
2. Oral Cavity and Pharynx
Unit II: Dental Embryology
3. Prenatal Development
4. Face and Neck Development
5. Orofacial Development
6. Tooth Development and Eruption
Unit III: Dental Histology
8. Basic Tissue
9. Oral Mucosa
10. Gingival and Dentogingival Junctional Tissues
11. Head and Neck Structures
13. Dentin and Pulp
14. Periodontium: Cementum, Alveolar Bone, Periodontal Ligament
Unit IV: Dental Anatomy
15. Overview of Dentitions
16. Permanent Anterior Teeth
17. Permanent Posterior Teeth
18. Primary Dentition
19. Temporomandibular Joint
Appendix A: Anatomical Position
Appendix B: Units of Measure
Appendix C: Tooth Measurements
Appendix D: Tooth Development