- Clear writing style makes the book useful and easy to understand, even for sheep and/or goat owners who are not veterinarians.
- Both surgery and medicine are covered in each body systems chapter, so it's easier to choose between treatment options for specific disorders.
- Superbly illustrated surgical procedures clearly demonstrate the steps to follow in performing surgical procedures.
- An explanation of the differences in normal behavior between sheep and goats shows how they are not the same, and require different methods of treatment.
- A consistent, logical format in each body systems chapter makes information easy to find by beginning with physical examination and diagnostic procedures, followed by discussions of common diseases that involve the system.
- Consistent headings include pathogenesis, clinical signs, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
- A comprehensive nutrition chapter covers diet evaluation, method of balancing rations, total parenteral nutrition, and examples of nutritious diets.
- Practical formulas are included for making sodium sulfite for testing passive transfer, and Sheather's solution for fecal flotation.
- Useful appendixes summarize essential information on drugs and drug dosages, fluid therapy, and normal values and conversions.
- A diverse, authoritative panel of contributors provides current information on the care of valuable breeding stock as well as pets.
1. Handling and Examining Sheep and Goats
2. Feeding and Nutrition
3. Fluid Therapy and Nutritional Support NEW!
4. Oral-Esophageal Diseases
5. Diseases of the Gastrointestinal System
6. Gastrointestinal Parasitism NEW!
7. Diseases of the Respiratory System
8. Theriogenology of Sheep and Goats
9. Diseases of the Endocrine System
10. Diseases of the Integumentary System
11. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System
12. Diseases of the Urinary System
13. Diseases of the Neurologic System
14. Diseases of the Eye
15. Diseases of the Mammary Gland
16. Diseases of the Hematologic, Immunologic, and Lymphatic Systems (Multisystem Diseases)
17. Diseases of the Cardiovascular System
18. Anesthetic Management
19. Flock / Herd Health
20. Necropsy NEW!
Appendix I: Commonly Used Drugs in Sheep and Goats: Suggested Dosages
Appendix II: Reference Intervals and Conversions