A classic text is back with fresh, comprehensive nursing theories, critiques, and philosophies. Nursing Theorists and Their Work, 9th Edition provides you with an in-depth look at 39 theorists of historical, international, and significant importance. This new edition has been updated with an improved writing style, added case studies, critical thinking activities, and in-depth objective critiques of nursing theories that help bridge the gap between theory and application. In addition, the six levels of abstraction (philosophy, conceptual models, grand theory, theory, middle-range theory, and future of nursing theory) are graphically depicted throughout the book to help you understand the context of the various theories.
- Each theorist chapter is written by a scholar specializing in that particular theorist’s work, often having worked closely with the theorists, to provide the most accurate and complete information possible.
- A case study at the end of each theorist chapter puts the theory into a larger perspective, demonstrating how it can be applied to practice.
- Critical Thinking Activities at the end of each theorist chapter help you process the theory presented and apply it to personal and hypothetical practice situations.
- Diagrams for theories help you visualize and better understand inherently abstract concepts.
- A Brief Summary in each theorist chapter helps you review for tests and confirm their comprehension.
- A Major Concepts & Definitions box included in each theorist chapter outlines the theory’s most significant ideas and clarifies content-specific vocabulary.
- Points for Further Study at the end of each chapter directs you to assets available for additional information.
- Quotes from the theorist make each complex theory more memorable.
- An extensive bibliography at the conclusion of each theorist chapter outlines numerous primary and secondary sources of information for further study.
UNIT I: EVOLUTION OF NURSING THEORETICAL WORKS
1. Introduction to Nursing Theory: Its History and Significance
2. Nursing Theorists of Historical Significance
3. History of Nursing Science
4. Theory Development Process
5. The Structure and Analysis of Specialized Nursing Knowledge
UNIT II: NURSING PHILOSOPHIES
6. Florence Nightingale: Modern Nursing
7. Jean Watson: Watson’s Philosophy and Theory of Transpersonal Caring
8. Marilyn Anne Ray: Theory of Bureaucratic Caring
9. Patricia Benner: Caring, Clinical Wisdom, and Ethics in Nursing Practice
10. Kari Martinsen: Philosophy of Caring
11. Katie Eriksson: Theory of Caritative Caring
UNIT III: NURSING MODELS
12. Myra Estrin Levine: The Conservation Model
13. Martha E. Rogers: Unitary Human Beings
14. Dorothea E. Orem: Self-Care Deficit Theory of Nursing
15. Imogene M. King: Conceptual System and Middle Range Theory of Goal Attainment
16. Betty Neuman: Systems Model
17. Sister Callista Roy: Adaptation Model
18. Dorothy Johnson: Behavioral System Model
UNIT IV: NURSING THEORIES
19. Anne Boykin and Savina O. Schoenhofer: The Theory of Nursing as Caring: A Model for Transforming Practice
20. Afaf Ibrahim Meleis: Transitions Theory
21. Nola J. Pender: Health Promotion Model
22. Madeline M. Leininger: Culture Care Theory of Diversity and Universality
23. Margaret A. Newman: Health as Expanding Consciousness
24. Rosemarie Rizzo Parse: Humanbecoming
25. Helen C. Erickson, Evelyn M. Tomlin, Mary Ann P. Swain: Modeling and Role-Modeling
26. Gladys L. Husted and James H. Husted: Symphonological Bioethical Theory
UNIT V: MIDDLE RANGE THEORIES
27. Ramona T. Mercer: Maternal Role Attainment—Becoming a Mother
28. Merle Mishel: Uncertainty in Illness Theory
29. Pamela G. Reed: Self-Transcendence Theory
30. Carolyn L. Wiener and Marilyn J. Dodd: Theory of Illness Trajectory
31. Georgene Gaskill Eakes, Mary Lermann Burke, and Margaret A. Hainsworth: Theory of Chronic Sorrow
32. Phil Barker: The Tidal Model of Mental Health Recovery
33. Katherine Kolcaba: Theory of Comfort
34. Cheryl Tatano Beck: Postpartum Depression Theory
35. Kristen M. Swanson: Theory of Caring
36. Cornelia M. Ruland and Shirley M. Moore: Peaceful End-of-Life Theory
UNIT VI: FUTURE OF NURSING THEORY
37. State of the Art and Science of Nursing Theory
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2018
- 15th August 2017
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor and Director, PhD program, College of Nursing, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, USA