*Addresses the value of art and consumer behavior toward acquiring art
*Examines the effect of art on economies of developed and developing countries around the world
Table of Contents
- Part 1: Introduction.
1. Overview of the economics of arts an culture (V. Ginsburgh, David Throsby).
Part 2: History.
2. Art and culture in the history of economic thought (C. Goodwin).
3. The history of art markets (N. De Marchi, H. van Miegroet).
4. The evolution of music markets (F.M. Scherer).
Part 3: Value.
5. Defining cultural and artistic goods (R. McCain).
6. Value and the valuation of art in economic and aesthetic theory (M. Hutter, R. Shusterman).
Part 4: Legal Issues.
7. The economic analysis of art law (W. Landes).
8. Copies of artworks. The case of paintings and prints (F. Benhamou, V. Ginsburgh).
9. Copyright, arts and the internet (P. Legros).
10. Censorship versus freedom of expression in the arts speech (T-J. Chiang, R. Posner).
Part 5: Culture and the Economy.
11. On arts economics and the new economy (W. Baumol).
12. Culture and economic performance (M. Casson).
13. Culture and economic development (P. Streeten).
Part 6: Consumption and Production.
14. Empirical studies of demand for the arts (B. Seaman).
15. Nonprofit firms in the performing arts (A. Brooks).
16. Creativity and the behaviour of artists (T. Bryant, D. Throsby).
Part 7: Cultural Industries.
17. Organisation of arts and entertainment industries (R. Caves).
18. The media and advertising: A tale of two-sided markets (S. Anderson, J. Gabszewicz).
19. The movies (A. de Vany).
20. Rockonomics: The economics of popular music (A. Krueger, M. Connolly).
21. The economics of books (M. Canoy, F. van der Ploeg, Jan van Ours).
Part 8: Labor Markets.
22. Artistic labour markets. Contingent work, excess supply and occupational risk management (P-M. Menger).
23. Artists' careers and labor markets (N. Alper, G. Wassall).
24. Human capital and artists' labour markets (R. Towse).
25. Stardom and talent (M. Adler).
Part 9: Auctions and Prices.
26. Art auctions (O. Ashenfelter, K. Graddy).
27. The computation of price indices (V. Ginsburgh, J. Mei, M. Moses).
Part 10: Heritage.
28. Cultural heritage. Economic analysis and public policy (I. Rizzo, D. Throsby).
29. The economics of museums (B. Frey, S. Meier).
Part 11: Location.
30. Culture in urban and regional development (T. Bille, G. Schultze).
31. Cultural districts and their role in developed and developing economies (W. Santagata).
Part 12: Policy.
32. The arts and economic policy (A.Peacock).
33. Culture in international trade (K. Acheson, C. Maule).
34. The making of cultural policy: a European perspective (F. van der Ploeg).
35. Cultural policy: an American view (D. Netzer).
36. Tax incentives in cultural policy (M. Schuster).
37. Philanthropy (S. Katz).
- No. of pages: 1400
- Language: English
- Copyright: © North Holland 2006
- Published: September 13, 2006
- Imprint: North Holland
- eBook ISBN: 9780080464756
About the Editors
Affiliations and Expertise
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture"