Bridging the gap between human physical therapy and veterinary medicine, Canine Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy, 2nd Edition provides vets, veterinary students, and human physical therapists with traditional and alternative physical therapy methods to effectively evaluate and treat dogs with various debilitating conditions. Coverage includes treatment protocols for many types of cutaneous, neurologic, and musculoskeletal injuries to facilitate a faster and more complete recovery.
"Overall, this book is an extensive text for anyone interested in pursuing canine rehabilitation and physical therapy" Reviewed by: Helen Davies, University of Melbourne on behalf of Australian Veterinary Journal, March 2015
- Invaluable protocols for conservative and postoperative treatment ensure the successful healing of dogs and their return to full mobility.
- Printable medical record forms on the companion website, including client information worksheets, referral forms, orthopedic evaluation forms, and more, can be customized for your veterinary practice.
- Six completely updated chapters on exercising dogs define the basic principles of aquatic and land-based exercise and how they may be applied to dogs, as well as how physical therapy professionals can adapt common "human" exercises to dogs.
- Numerous chapters on therapeutic modalities, including therapeutic lasers, illustrate how physical therapy professionals can adapt common "human" modalities to dogs.
- Physical examination chapters offer comprehensive information on orthopedics, neurology, and rehabilitation.
Section I: Introduction to Physical Rehabilitation
- History of Canine Physical Rehabilitation
- Regulatory and Practice Issues for the Veterinary and Physical Therapy Professions
- Conceptual Overview of Physical Therapy, Veterinary Medicine, and Canine Rehabilitation
- Canine Behavior
- Canine Anatomy
- Tissue Healing: Tendons, Ligaments, Bone, Muscles, and Cartilage
- Responses of Musculoskeletal Tissues to Disuse and Remobilization
- Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Physiology of the Canine Athlete – NEW!
- Orthopedic and Neurologic Examination
- Canine Locomotion Analysis
- The Physical Rehabilitation Evaluation – NEW!
- Assessing and Measuring Outcomes
- Rehabilitating the Painful Patient: Pain Management in Physical Rehabilitation – NEW!
- The Role of Chondroprotectants, Nutraceuticals, and Nutrition in Rehabilitation Nursing Care of the Rehabilitation Patient – NEW!
- Nursing Care of the Rehabilitation Patient – NEW!
- Devices for Ambulation Assistance in Companion Animals – NEW!
- Superficial Thermal Modalities
- Therapeutic Ultrasound
- Electrical Stimulation – NEW!
- Therapeutic Lasers in Canine Rehabilitation – NEW!
- Applications of Extracorporeal Shock Wave in Small Animal Practice – NEW!
Section II: Basic Science of Veterinary Rehabilitation
Section III: Patient Assessment and Management
Section IV: Therapeutic Modalities
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2014
- 24th October 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN: