Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Part I: Principles of waterproofing and water repellency in textiles
1. Introduction to waterproof and water repellent textiles
2. Development of waterproof breathable coatings and laminates
3. Soil repellency and stain resistance (Hydrophobic and oleophobic treatments)
4. Toxicology and environmental issues (PFOA and PFOS)
5. Biomimetic design (pine cones, lotus leaf etc)
Part II: Types of water repellent textile finishes
6. C8 fluoropolymers as water repellent finishes (development of C8 coatings)
7. Other fluorocarbons for repellency (development of C6 coatings)
8. Wax-based water repellents
9. Silicone-based water repellents
10. Hydrophobic dendrimers for water repellency
12. Plasma-based treatments of textiles for water repellency (low-pressure, atmospheric and dielectric barrier discharge methods)
13. Sol-gel-based treatments of textiles for water repellency
15. Multifunctional water repellent textile finishes (antimicrobial, stain repellence, flame retardance)
Part III: Water repellent textiles in practice: performance, testing and applications
16. Designing waterproof and water repellent clothing for wearer comfort (ventilation, breathability and wicking, thermoregulation)
17. Performance evaluation and testing of water repellent textiles from AATCC, BSI, ISO and ASTM (contact angles, repellency numbers, hydrostatic head, spray test, Bundesmann test (wearer trials of finished garments)
18. Re-proofing of water repellent textiles and clothing (abrasion, laundering, dry cleaning and tumble drying)
20. Protective clothing
21. Healthcare textiles
Waterproof and Water Repellent Textiles and Clothing provides systematic coverage of the key types of finishes and high performance materials, from conventional wax and silicone, through controversial, but widely used fluoropolymers and advanced techniques, such as atmospheric plasma deposition and sol-gel technology. The book is an essential resource for all those engaged in garment development, production and finishing, and for academics engaged in research into apparel technology and textile science. Rapid innovation in this field is driving new performance demands in many areas, including the sporting and military sectors.
However, another innovation driver is the regulatory framework in the USA, Europe and globally, addressing both health concerns (e.g. with PFOS / PFOA) and environmental impacts (e.g. C8 fluorocarbon finishes). Both of these aspects are fully covered, along with the replacement materials / technologies currently available and under development.
In addition, oleophobic and multifunctional coatings are discussed, as are aspects of performance, testing and applications in sportswear, protective clothing, and footwear.
- Introduces innovative materials and technologies, exploring their current and potential use across different sectors
- Provides expert guidance on the health and environmental aspects of key waterproof materials and coatings and their associated regulations
- Demystifies testing processes and design principles
Producers of waterproof and water repellent textiles and chemical agents; academics / researchers in textile finishing; undergraduate and graduate students in textile engineering
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2018
- 15th November 2017
- Woodhead Publishing
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
"This book provides an essential resource for all those engaged in garment development, production, and finishing, and can be used by academics engaged in research into apparel technology and textile science." --Asian Textile Journal
Dr John T. Williams has published numerous scientific papers and several book chapters dealing with protective clothing. Dr Williams has also presented numerous academic lectures internationally. He is a member of many groups including Euratex and TechniTex.
Presented numerous academic lectures internationally