List of contributors.
1. Leading concepts towards vital soil (H. Eijsackers).
II. General aspects of vital soils.
2. The formation of soils (N. van Breemen).
3. Vegetation, organic matter and soil quality (W.H.O. Ernst).
4. Soil biota and activity (H.A. Verhoef).
III. Integrative approaches in soil biology.
5. The key role of soil microbes (W. Verstraete, B. Mertens).
6. The use of soil invertebrates in ecological surveys of contaminated soils (N.M. van Straalen).
7. Balance and stability in vital soils (P.C. de Ruiter).
8. Soil and higher organisms: from bottom-up relations to top-down monitoring (N.W. van den Brink).
IV. Natural attenuation and monitoring.
9. Fate of contaminants in soil (W.J.G.M. Peijnenburg).
10. Ecological soil monitoring and quality assessment (A.M. Breure).
V. Synthesis and outlook.
11. Synthesis for soil management (P. Doelman).