Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Valorization of Agri-Food Wastes and By-Products: Recent Trends, Innovations and Sustainability Challenges addresses the waste and by-product valorization of fruits and vegetables, beverages, nuts and seeds, dairy and seafood.
The book focuses its coverage on bioactive recovery, health benefits, biofuel production and environment issues, as well as recent technological developments surrounding state of the art of food waste management and innovation. The book also presents tools for value chain analysis and explores future sustainability challenges. In addition, the book offers theoretical and experimental information used to investigate different aspects of the valorization of agri-food wastes and by-products.
Valorization of Agri-Food Wastes and By-Products: Recent Trends, Innovations and Sustainability Challenges will be a great resource for food researchers, including those working in food loss or waste, agricultural processing, and engineering, food scientists, technologists, agricultural engineers, and students and professionals working on sustainable food production and effective management of food loss, wastes and by-products.
- Covers recent trends, innovations, and sustainability challenges related to food wastes and by-products valorization
- Explores various recovery processes, the functionality of targeted bioactive compounds, and green processing technologies
- Presents emerging technologies for the valorization of agri-food wastes and by-products
- Highlights potential industrial applications of food wastes and by-products to support circular economy concepts
Food researchers, including those working in food loss or waste, agricultural processing, and engineering, food scientists, technologists, agricultural engineers, and students and professionals working on sustainable food production and effective management of food loss, wastes and by-products
Section 1: Introductory Note
1. Introductory Note: Valorization of Food Industrial Wastes and By-Products
2. Sustainability Challenges in Valorization of Agri-Food Wastes and By-Products
Section 2: Fruits and Vegetables
4. Bioactive compounds of fruit by-products as potential prebiotics
5. Valorization of Fruit and Vegetable Waste for Bioactive Pigments: Extraction and Utilization
6. Valuable bioactives from vegetable wastes
7. Fruit by-products as alternative ingredients for bakery products
8. Fruit and vegetable by-products: As novel ingredients for sustainable society
9. Current trends on the valorization of waste fractions for the recovery of alkaloids and polyphenols: Case study of Guarana
Section 3: Beverage industry (coffee, tea and cocoa)
10. Coffee waste: a source of valuable technologies for sustainable development
11. Valorization of coffee wastes for effective recovery of value added bio-based products: Aim to enhance the sustainability and productivity of coffee industry
12. Valorization of tea waste for multifaceted applications: A step towards green and sustainable development
13. Various conversion techniques for recovery of value added products from tea waste
14. Cocoa: beyond chocolate, a promising material for potential value-added products
Section 4: Nuts and seeds
15. Nuts by-products: The Latin American contribution
16. Valorization of seeds of the Genera: Cucumis, Citrullus and Cucurbita
17. Valorization of grape seeds
18. Seed wastes and by-products: Reformulation of meat products
Section 5: Dairy, Animals and Poultry
19. Recent advances and emerging trends in the utilization of dairy by-products/wastes
20. Whey: Generation, recovery and use of a relevent by-product
21. Valoriation fo dairy by-products for functional and nutritional applcations: recent trends towards the milk fat globule membrane
22. Sustainable utilization of gelatin from animal based agri-food waste for food industry and pharmacology
23. New food strategies to generate sustainable beef
24. Valorization of wastes and by-products from meat industry
25. Biowaste eggshells as efficient electrodes for energy storage
26. Recovery and application of Bioactive proteins from poultry by-products
Section 6: Marine industry
27. Valorization of Seafood Processing By-Products
28. Utilization of seafood processing by-products for development of value-added food products
29. Valorization of Seafood Industry Waste in Gelatin Production: Fact and Gaps
30. Effective Valorization of Aquaculture By-products: Bioactives of peptides and their applications in aquafeed
Section 7: Opportunities and Challenges
31. Sustainability of Agri-food Supply Chains through innovative waste management models
32. Food waste generation and management: Household sector
33. Sustainable Valorization of Food Processing Industry By-Products: Challenges and Opportunities to obtain Bioactive Compounds
34. Revitalization of wastewater from the edible oil industry
35. Valorization of cotton wastes for agriculture and industrial applications - Present status and future prospects
36. Advanced techniques for recovery of active compounds form food by products
37. Application of Combined Extractions and Microextraction Techniques for Food
38. Superabsorbent materials from industrial food and agricultural wastes and by-products
39. Natural Depp Eutectic Solvents (NADES) for Sustainable Extraction of Pigments and Antioxidants from Agri-processing Waste
40. Thermochemical and Biochemical treatment strategies for resource recovery from agri-food industry wastes
41. Bioconversion of agri-food waste and by-products through insects: a new valorization opportunity
42. Sustainability of food industry wastes: a microbial approach
43. Polyphenols from Food Processing By-Products and their Microbiota-Gut-Brain Axis based Health Benefits
44. Agriwaste-derives Silica Nanoparticles (Si-NPs) as Bio-Fertilizer
45. Supply of Biomass and Agricultural Waste for Promoting Low-carbon Business-ecosystem
46. Agricultural Waste Valorization for Sustainable Biofuel Production
47. Valorization of fruit processing by-product streams into integrated biorefinery concepts: Extraction of value-added compounds and bioconversion to chemicals
48. Recovery of Valorization of CO2 from the Organic Wastes Fermentation
49. Valorization of Agri-food wastes and byproducts through nano biotechnology
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 1st August 2021
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Rajeev Bhat is Professor and the ERA Chair holder in Food By-products Valorization Technologies (VALORTECH) at the Estonian University of Life Sciences, EU. He holds an extensive ‘Research and Teaching’ experience of more than 20 years in the field of agri-food technology, with research expertise focusing on various issues pertaining to ‘Sustainable Food Production’ and ‘Food Security.’ He holds International work experiences in South Korea, India, Malaysia, Germany, Fiji Islands and now in Estonia.
Professor and ERA Chair, Food By-Products Valorization Technologies (VALORTECH), Estonian University of Life Sciences, Tartu, Estonia
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.