Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
The Safety Critical Systems Handbook: A Straightforward Guide to Functional Safety: IEC 61508 (2010 Edition), IEC 61511 (2015 Edition) and Related Guidance, Fifth Edition presents the latest guidance on safety-related systems that guard workers and the public against injury and death, also discussing environmental risks. This comprehensive resource has been fully revised, with additional material on risk assessment, cybersecurity, COMAH and HAZID, published guidance documents/standards, quantified risk assessment and new worked examples. The book provides a comprehensive guide to the revised IEC 61508 standard as well as the 2016 IEC 61511.
This book will have a wide readership, not only in the chemical and process industries, but in oil and gas, power generation, avionics, automotive, manufacturing and other sectors. It is aimed at most engineers, including those in project, control and instrumentation, design and maintenance disciplines.
- Provides the only comprehensive guide to IEC 61508 and 61511 (updated for 2016) that ensures engineers are compliant with the latest process safety systems design and operation standards
- Presents a real-world approach that helps users interpret the standard, with new case studies and best practice design examples using revised standards
- Covers applications of the standard to device design
Chemical, Process, Plant, Oil and Gas and related systems safety engineers and students
1. The Meaning and Context of Safety Integrity Targets
2. Meeting IEC 61508 Part 1
3. Meeting IEC 61508 Part 2
4. Meeting IEC 61508 Part 3
5. Reliability Modeling Techniques
6. Failure Rate and Mode Data
7. Demonstrating and Certifying Conformance
Part B. Specific Industry Sectors
8. Second Tier Documents Process, Oil and Gas Industries
9. Machinery Sector
10. Other Industry Sectors
Part C. Case Studies in the Form of Exercises and Examples
11. Pressure Control System
12. Burner Control Assessment
13. SIL Targeting Some Practical Examples
14. Hypothetical Rail Train Braking System
15. Rotorcraft Accidents and Risk Assessment
16. Hydroelectric Dam and Tidal Gates
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2020
- 1st March 2029
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr David J Smith is the Proprietor of Technis Consultancy. He has written numerous books on Reliability and Safety over the last 35 years. His FARADIP database has become widely used, and his other software packages are also used throughout the profession. His PhD thesis was on the subject of reliability prediction and common cause failure. He contributed to the first drafting of IEC 61508 and chairs the IGEM panel which produces SR/15 (the gas industry safety related guidance). David is past President of the Safety and Reliability Society.
Independent Consultant, Technis, Tonbridge, UK
Kenneth G. L. Simpson is Managing Director of Engineering Safety Consultants Ltd and has been associated with safety related systems design and also with their assessment for over 40 years. He is a member of both the IEC61508 and IEC61511 drafting committees and the IGEM (SR15) panel, which writes the gas industry guidance. Following a career in aerospace, Ken has spent over 35 years in the control and safety system industry, has written a number of papers on the topic and gives frequent lectures.
Independent Consultant, ESC, UK
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.