Foreword by Ted J. Kaptchuk
Introduction: Closing a Circle
Unit 1-History and Methods
1. Traditional Thai Medicine
A brief history of medicine in Thailand
Buddhist influences on Thai massage
-The issue of wind
-Sen: the energy pathways of the body
2. Rules, Methods and Techniques
Rhythm & Flow
Therapeutic Actions: East and West
Precautions and contraindications
Unit 2-Practical Application
3. Client in Supine Position
Legs and feet
-Working the Sen lines of the legs
The abdominal region
Chest, shoulders, neck, arms
Face and neck
4. Client in Lateral Recumbent Position
-Stretches applied with the feet
Hips and back
Arms, hands and fingers
5. Client in Prone Position
Feet and legs
Back and shoulders
6. Client in Seated Position
Shoulders, neck and back
Ending the session
Unit 3-Application for Practice
7. Suggested Sequences
Timeliness & Timelessness
Suggested Sequence for a 60 Minute session
Suggested Sequence for a 90 Minute session
Suggested Sequence for a 120 Minute session
8. Correlations to Yoga
Thai Massage and Yoga
Appendix A: Muscle Atlas
Appendix B: Mantra
This practical and highly illustrated introduction to the principles and techniques of Thai massage discusses the theories of Thai medicine and its Chinese and Ayurvedic influences. It offers clear and easy-to-follow descriptions for all Thai massage techniques accompanied by full color photographs and drawings, with arrows to indicate direction of movement. Basic explanations describe how massage therapists can use elements of these techniques and apply them immediately in their own practice. The book includes a DVD with 45 minutes of video showing techniques and routines in real time, to demonstrate appropriate pacing.
- Gives clear and easy-to-follow descriptions for each technique.
- Techniques can be used alone, in conjunction with other forms of massage, or to facilitate Yoga and other meditation practices.
- Clinically valuable and practical explanations of how to use elements of the procedures make it easy for therapists to enrich their practice with these techniques -- whether applying all of the methods, or starting with stretches alone.
- Features an icon throughout the text that calls attention to precautions therapists must be aware of for safe and effective sessions.
- Includes a 45-minute DVD presenting video of techniques and routines in real time, to demonstrate proper pacing.
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Practitioner and Lecturer, San Diego, CA