Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
1. Introduction to Denim
2. Environmental Impacts of Denim
3. Environmental Impacts of Denim Washing
4. Life Cycle Assessment of Denim
5. Water Footprint of Denim Industry
6. Carbon Footprint of Denim Manufacturing
7. Denim Processing and Health Hazards
8. Chemicals and Effluent Treatment in Denim Processing
9. Chemicals and Effluent Treatment in Indigo Denim Process
10. Denim and Consumer's Phase of Life Cycle
11. Social Aspects in Denim Production
12. Sustainable Denim Processing
13. Sustainable Denim Processing using Water-free Technologies
Sustainability in Denim provides the latest information on sustainable fabrics and practices. From cotton farming, to manufacture and end of life disposal, denim has extensive effects on the environment, inclusive of water consumption and contamination, destruction of large-scale ecosystems and transportation pollution. Additionally, recent developments in the manufacture of denim, such as the use of textiles, including elastane and polyester, have led to limitations in the high end recycling of denim.
This book includes an introduction covering the history, manufacture and lifecycle of denim. It deals with the sustainability aspects of denim by addressing three important pillars of sustainability, the environmental, social and economic aspects, that when combined, present a unique approach in comparison to other books on the topic.
The book primarily uses case studies to examine sustainability challenges throughout the denim lifecycle, and to evaluate new green initiatives and recycling processes. It will be of great use to industry professionals, sustainability managers, textile industry researchers and denim manufacturers.
- Reviews and studies denim from a sustainability perspective, addressing its major environmental, social and economic impacts
- Provides the reader with a fundamental knowledge of the history, manufacture and lifecycle of denim, thus enabling a holistic view of denim sustainability
- Presents new green initiatives for the processing and recycling of denim products for promotion and use amongst sustainability groups
R&D managers in the textile industry, researchers in textile and denim industry, designers, manufacturers, and sustainability personnel working with textiles
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2017
- 13th June 2017
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr Subramanian Senthilkannan Muthu holds a PhD in Textiles Sustainability from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He is well known for his contributions in the field and has extensive academic and industrial experience. He has got an extensive publication list of over 85 scientific books and over 100 research publications to his credit. He is currently Director & Head of Sustainability for SgT & API, based in Hong Kong. He has over a decade's working experience in the area of Textiles & Clothing sustainability. He has worked with Industries in Asia and Europe for various Sustainability aspects. He is an Editor, Editorial Board member and a Reviewer for many international peer-reviewed journals in textiles and environmental sciences. He is one of the Directors of the Textile and Bioengineering Informatics Society (TBIS), a charitable organization created to foster, develop, and promote all aspects of science and technology in bioengineering of materials, fibers and textiles.
Director & Head of Sustainability, SgT & API, Hong Kong
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.