- Present an overview of the composition of surface and ground waters on the continents and the mechanisms that control the compositions
- Provides summaries of the tools and methodologies used in modern studies of the geochemistry of surface and ground waters
- Features information on the role of weathering and soil formation in geochemical cycles
- Contains information on the composition of the atmosphere in the geological past
- Reprinted individual volume from the acclaimed Treatise on Geochemistry, 10 volume set
Table of Contents
- Executive Editors' Foreword.
Contributors to Volume 5.
Volume Editor's Introduction.
Soil Formation (R. Amundson).
Modeling Low-temperature Geochemical Processes (D.K. Nordstrom).
Reaction Kinetics of Primary Rock-forming Minerals under Ambient Conditions (S.L. Brantley).
Mass-balance Approach to Interpreting Weathering Reactions in Watershed Systems (O.P. Bricker, B F. Jones, C.J. Bowser).
Natural Weathering Rates of Silicate Minerals (A.F. White).
Plants and Mineral Weathering: Present and Past (E.K. Berner, R.A. Berner, K.L. Moulton†).
Geochemical Weathering in Glacial and Proglacial Environments (M. Tranter).
Global Occurrence of Major Elements in Rivers (M. Meybeck).
Trace Elements in River Waters (J. Gaillardet, J. Viers, B. Dupre).
Dissolved Organic Matter in Freshwaters (E.M. Perdue, J.D. Ritchie).
Stable Isotope Applications in Hydrologic Studies (C. Kendall, D.H. Doctor).
Radiogenic Isotopes in Weathering and Hydrology (J.D. Blum, Y. Erel).
Geochemistry of Saline Lakes (B.F. Jones, D.M. Deocampo).
Geochemistry of Groundwater (F.H. Chapelle).
Groundwater Dating and Residence-time Measurements (F.M. Phillips, M.C. Castro).
Deep Fluids in the Continents: I. Sedimentary Basins (Y.K. Kharaka, J.S. Hanor).
Deep Fluids in the Continents: II. Crystalline Rocks (S.K. Frape et al.).
Soils and Global Change in the Carbon Cycle over Geological Time (G.J. Retallack).
- No. of pages: 644
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Elsevier Science 2005
- Published: November 21, 2005
- Imprint: Elsevier Science
- Paperback ISBN: 9780080447193
- eBook ISBN: 9780080547596
About the Editor
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Surface and Ground Water, Weathering, and Soils"