The practical approached championed in this book have led to increasing the quality on many successful products through providing a better understanding of consumer needs, current product and process performance and a desired future state. In 2009, Frank Rossi and Viktor Mirtchev brought their practical statistical thinking forward and created the course “Statistics for Food Scientists”. The intent of the course was to help product and process developers increase the probability of their project’s success through the incorporation of practical statistical thinking in their challenges. The course has since grown and has become the basis of this book.
- Presents detailed descriptions of statistical concepts and commonly used statistical tools to better analyze data and interpret results
- Demonstrates thorough examples and specific practical problems of what food scientists face in their work and how the tools of statistics can help them to make more informed decisions
- Provides information to show how statistical tools are applied to improve research results, enhance product quality, and promote overall product development
Their roles in Product Development, Product Quality, Manufacturing, Regulatory and Quality Assurance and their industry titles include Food Scientist, Food Engineer, Quality Manager and Product Developer.
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Chapter 2. Descriptive Statistics and Graphical Analysis
- Chapter 3. Hypothesis Testing
- Chapter 4. Analysis of Variance (ANOVA)
- Chapter 5. Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA)
- Chapter 6. Regression and Correlation
- Chapter 7. Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Chapter 8. Sampling
- How Many Samples?
- How to Collect Samples?
- Chapter 9. Process Capability
- Chapter 10. Design of Experiments Foundation
- Chapter 11. Screening Experimental Designs
- Chapter 12. Response Surface (Optimization) Experimental Designs
- Chapter 13. Mixture Experimental Design
- Chapter 14. Wrapping It All Up!
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2016
- 12th October 2015
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
"...a useful guide for food researchers in R&D area, for food producers and quality managers, and for all those who work with statistics and data analysis even at the production line to meet consumers’ demands." --Acta Alimentaria, Statistics for Food Scientists