Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Practical Guides in Chemical Engineering are a cluster of short texts that each provides a focused introductory view on a single subject. The full library spans the main topics in the chemical process industries that engineering professionals require a basic understanding of. They are ‘pocket publications’ that the professional engineer can easily carry with them or access electronically while working. Each text is highly practical and applied, and presents first principles for engineers who need to get up to speed in a new area fast. The focused facts provided in each guide will help you converse with experts in the field, attempt your own initial troubleshooting, check calculations, and solve rudimentary problems.
Solid-Liquid Filtration covers the basic principles and mechanisms of filtration, filtration testing including filter aids and filter media, types of filtration systems, selection of filtration systems and typical operating and troubleshooting approaches. This guide also discusses general applications and tips for process filtration and can be utilized by process engineers as a framework for “idea-generation” when analyzing filtration for an operating bottleneck issue or a new process development problem.
- Practical, short, concise information on the basics will help you get an answer or teach yourself a new topic quickly
- Supported by industry examples to help you solve a real world problem
- Single subject volumes provide key facts for professionals
Process engineers, plant engineers, researchers, professionals.
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Filtration Overview
- Filtration Equipment Categories
- Principles and Mechanisms
- Filter Aids
- Filter Media
- Coagulants and Flocculants
- Surface Charges
- Filter Rating Systems
- Chapter 2. Filtration Testing
- Filtration Theory: Background and How to Use It in Practice
- Slurry Characteristics
- Particle Characteristics
- Pressure Testing
- Vacuum Testing
- Chapter 3. Types of Filtration Systems
- Batch Systems
- Continuous Systems
- Chapter 4. Combination Filtration
- Testing for Combination Filtration
- Process Segmentation
- Chapter 5. Filtration Selection
- Upstream and Downstream Equipment
- Integration and Controls
- Centrifugal Alternatives to Pressure and Vacuum Solid-Liquid Filtration
- Life Cycle Capital Equipment Costs
- Chapter 6. Commissioning and Operation
- Commissioning Plan
- Preventative Maintenance
- Interesting Process Challenges After the Fact
- Chapter 7. Conclusion
- Appendix. Paint Filter Liquids Test
- Glossary of Important Filtration Terms
- Suggested Further Reading Online
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2015
- 6th February 2015
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Barry A. Perlmutter is currently President and Managing Director of BHS-Sonthofen Inc. Barry has over 37 years of technical engineering and business marketing experience in the field of solid-liquid separation, filtration, centrifugation and process drying. He has published and lectured worldwide on the theory & applications for the chemical, pharmaceutical and energy / environmental industries. He received a BS degree in Chemistry from Albany State (NY) University, MS degree from the School of Engineering at Washington University, St. Louis and an MBA from the University of Illinois.
President and Managing Director, Process, Concrete and Minerals and Recycling Divisions, BHS-Sonthofen Inc., Charlotte, NC, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.