From basic procedures like spays, castrations, and declaws to advanced surgeries like craniotomy, vertal slots, and lung lobectomy, Fossum’s Small Animal Surgery, 5th Edition is the go-to, full-color guide for everything that general veterinarians and vet students need to know about both soft tissue and orthopedic surgery. Five editors bring their expert perspective as they discuss the latest advances in key areas such as imaging modalities, regenerative medicine, minimally invasive surgery, and neurology. With each book adoption, you’ll also have access to the Expert Consult website, which includes a fully searchable version of the book plus step-by-step video clips and animations of surgical procedures, aftercare instruction handouts, case presentations, references linked to full text articles on PubMed, and an extensive image collection. There is no better resource to keep you up to date on the latest advances and techniques in small animal surgery!
- Well illustrated, step-by-step instructions for surgical techniques provide quick reference to practical how-to information in emergency and clinical situations.
- Anesthesia Protocols offer easy access to recommendations for anesthetizing animals with particular diseases or disorders.
- Coverage of cutting-edge imaging techniques, including radiographs, CT, MRI, and digital imaging, explores the most useful imaging modalities for demonstrating areas of surgical concern.
- Clinical tips boxes provide at-a-glance surgical and practice tips.
- Postsurgical care instructions provide customizable client aftercare handouts for many of the procedures in the book.
- Reference links to PubMed grant access to full-text articles.
Part 1: General Surgical Principles
1. Principles of Surgical Asepsis
2. Care and Handling of Surgical Equipment and Supplies
3. Surgical Facilities and Maintenance of the Surgical Environment
4. Preoperative and Intraoperative Care of the Surgical Patient
5. Preparation of the Operative Site
6. Preparation of the Surgical Team
7. Surgical Instrumentation
8. Biomaterials, Suturing and Suture Patterns
9. Surgical Infections and Antibiotic Selection
10. Nutritional Management of the Surgical Patient
11. Fundamentals of Physical Rehabilitation
12. Principles of Anesthesia and Anesthetics
13. Pain Management and Acupuncture
14. Principles of Minimally Invasive Surgery and Regenerative Medicine
Part II: Soft Tissue Surgery
15. Surgery of the Integumentary System
16. Surgery of the Eye
17. Surgery of the Ear
18. Surgery of the Digestive System
19. Surgery of the Liver
20. Surgery of the Extrahepatic Biliary System
21. Surgery of the Endocrine System
22. Surgery of the Hemolymphatic System
23. Surgery of the Kidney and Ureter
24. Surgery of the Bladder
25. Surgery of the Reproductive and Genital Systems
26. Surgery of the Cardiovascular System
27. Surgery of the Upper Respiratory System
28. Surgery of the Lower Respiratory System: Lungs and Thoracic Wall
29. Surgery of the Lower Respiratory System: Pleural Cavity and Diaphragm
Part III: Orthopedics
30. Fundamentals of Orthopedic Surgery and Fracture Management
31. Management of Specific Fractures
32. Diseases of the Joints
33. Management of Muscle and Tendon Injury or Disease
34. Other Diseases of Bones and Joints
Part IV: Neurosurgery
35. Neurodiagnostic Overview for the Small Animal Surgeon
36. Neurologic Examination and Relevant Neuroanatomy
37. Surgery of the Brain
38. Surgery of the Cervical Spine
39. Surgery of the Thoracolumbar Spine
40. Surgery of the Cauda Equina
41. Nonsurgical Disorders of the Brain and Spine
42. Peripheral Nervous System Disorders
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2019
- 29th May 2018
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Theresa (Terry) W. Fossum is the Vice President for Research and Strategic Initiatives and a Professor of Veterinary Surgery at Midwestern University in Glendale, AZ. She was appointed as a special assistant to the Secretary of Energy in October 2017 to assist the Department of Energy in developing its STEM and Workforce Initiatives. Dr. Fossum graduated from Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1982. After completing an internship at Santa Cruz Veterinary Hospital the following year, she went on to do a surgery residency and Master’s degree at the Ohio State University. She received board certification in Surgery (ACVS) in 1987 and joined the faculty at Texas A&M University (TAMU) later that year, where she eventually held an Endowed Chair in Veterinary Surgery. In 1992, she completed a PhD in Veterinary Microbiology. Dr. Fossum is a world renowned veterinary surgeon and was the founder and served as the Clinical Director of the Michael E. DeBakey Institute at TAMU. She has presented thousands of hours of continuing education in the US and worldwide and in 2007 was named “Continuing Education Presenter of the Year” at the Western Veterinary Conference. Additionally, she has mentored numerous surgery residents and graduate students throughout her career. Dr. Fossum is a previous recipient of the Wiley Distinguished Professor of Veterinary Medicine Award and the Carl J. Norden Distinguished Teacher Award at Texas A&M University. Dr. Fossum has authored or co-authored over 100 manuscripts in refereed journals. In 2004, she received the Texas Society for Biomedical Research Award in recognition and appreciation for her many years of dedicated service to the science, research and medical communities in the State of Texas. She is a Distinguished Alumnus at The Ohio State University and received the Texas A&M University System “Innovator of the Year Award”. She currently serves on the Board of Directors at WVC and is a Trustee of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Theresa Welch Fossum, DVM, MS, PhD, Diplomate ACVS,Vice President of Research and Strategic Initiatives,Professor of Veterinary Surgery,Midwestern University,Glendale, AZ 85308