Master skills in a simulated hospital electronic medical record before working in actual hospital practice! Nearly 100 exercises and activities in this practice manual correspond to LaFleur Brooks’ Health Unit Coordinating, 7th Edition and provide hands-on experience by specifying necessary skills, as well as the materials and steps you need to practice them. Plus, the online electronic health record that comes with this manual gives you realistic practice working on hospital computer system to help you hone skills you’ll use in the field!
- Standard organization for each activity provides a record of the tasks to be completed, such as: materials needed, situation, directions, and check lists.
- Relevant practice orders include additional scenarios to give you more practice with relevant skills.
- Printable physicians orders allow simulation for both the EHR and paper environment.
- Ordering requisitions appendix can be used for activities requiring the online EHR when a computer is not available.
- Handwritten doctors’ orders give you practice deciphering poor handwriting samples
- Clinical Evaluation Record provides a written record of your performance in the clinical setting.
Section 1: Orientation to Hospitals, Medical Centers, and Health Care
- 4. Communication Devices and Their Uses
Section 2: Personal and Professional Skills
- 7. Management Techniques and Problem-Solving Skills for Health Unit Coordinating
Section 3: The Patient’s Electronic Record or Paper Chart, Transcription of Doctors’ Orders, and Documentation of Vital Signs
- 8. The Patient’s Electronic Medical Record or Paper Chart
- 10. Patient Activity, Patient Positioning, and Nursing Observation Orders
- 11. Nursing Treatment Orders
- 12. Nutritional Care Orders
- 13. Medication Orders
- 14. Laboratory Orders and Recording Telephoned Laboratory Results
- 15. Diagnostic Imaging Orders
- 16. Other Diagnostic Studies
- 17. Treatment Orders
- 18. Miscellaneous Orders
Section 4: Health Unit Coordinator Procedures
- 19. Admission, Preoperative, and Postoperative Procedures
- 20. Transcribing Discharge Orders
- Appendix A: Physicians’ Order Sheets
- Appendix B: Generic Hospital Forms and Examples of Computer Screens that May Be Used as Ordering Requisitions When Computers Are Not Available
- Appendix C: The Clinical Evaluation Record
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2014
- 7th February 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Program Director (Retired), Health Unit Coordinator Program, GateWay Community College, Phoenix, AZ
Program Director, Health Unit Coordinator Program, GateWay Community College, Phoenix, AZ